Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How does TurboTax handle part of home rental for part of time?

So basically, it's 43% of the 60% of the total expense amount or 43% of approximately 50% of the total.  From your earlier input it sounds like app. 50% when you say 180 days rented from 365 days?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rachelzoe

Thank you for posting this! Your experience is consistent with mine. I've been battling this for hours and hours with Turbo Tax support and nobody can fix it and I keep getting sent in the same circular review process and have the exact same situation. 

taxpayer34
Returning Member

I have the same problem. I ended up just pretending there were two separate properties (the rented room and the rest of the property) and prorating the amounts. The room I rented out constituted 9% of the property, so I used 9% of all values in schedule E, and used the other 91% under deductions and credits (except I used the full amount when listing the total remaining balance in case I'd hit some maximum while calculating deductions).

I don't know if that's the right way to do it, but one of the messages early in the Schedule E wizard made it seem like it was. If someone could weigh in that would be great, I also intend to add a comment to the return explaining what I did and why.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies