turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

blakelkg

How does Turbo Tax allocate medical deductions between spouses for the Ohio Joint Filing Credit? Is there a data entry required somewhere?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

How does Turbo Tax allocate medical deductions between spouses for the Ohio Joint Filing Credit? Is there a data entry required somewhere?

Yes, there is a place to enter your allocation of medical expenses. It comes up automatically, in the Ohio interview*. To get back there: At the screen titled "Take a look at Ohio Credits and Taxes", click edit next to joint filing credit. 

How much do you allocate to each spouse? There is no hard and fast rule on how you allocate the amounts between the spouses.

•             If it's clear who paid it, e.g. it was deducted from one spouse's pay, allocate it all to him
  •            You can split it 50-50.
  •            You can put it all to the higher earning spouse.
  •            I proportion mine by percentage of income, e.g. if the wife earns 40% of the income, allocate 40% of the adjustments to her.

*If your medical expenses do not exceed 7-1/2% of your federal AGI, you will get the medical adjustment box. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, there is a place to enter your allocation of medical expenses. It comes up automatically, in the Ohio interview*. To get back there: At the screen titled "Take a look at Ohio Credits and Taxes", click edit next to joint filing credit. 

How much do you allocate to each spouse? There is no hard and fast rule on how you allocate the amounts between the spouses.

•             If it's clear who paid it, e.g. it was deducted from one spouse's pay, allocate it all to him
  •            You can split it 50-50.
  •            You can put it all to the higher earning spouse.
  •            I proportion mine by percentage of income, e.g. if the wife earns 40% of the income, allocate 40% of the adjustments to her.

*If your medical expenses do not exceed 7-1/2% of your federal AGI, you will get the medical adjustment box. 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

As I understand  the OH requirements  -- it is a duplicate of the  Federal medical deductions  i.e.  total unreimbursed medical / out-of-pocket expenses less 7.5% of AGI.  Therefore I do not understand the allocation between  spouses question.  Are you filing as MFS for Federal and doing MFJ for OH or the other way around ?

Any allocation of the  eligible expenses  is done you  ( i.e. you enter the  data). TurboTax has no way of knowing how it should be done.

Am I missing your question ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies