Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ZachC64

How does it make you feel to prey on ignorance?

I just filed my taxes and have used Turbotax before for their free filing. This time I had opened brokerage accounts and needed to file a 1099. Turbotax said I need to pay them... well I did not. If you make under 60k a year, you DO NOT HAVE TO PAY. So now I'm out 150$. *This is to anyone from TurboTax with a **bleep**ing shred of human decency left* How does it feel to prey on ignorance? Does it make you feel good to literally take my hard earned money? You have no idea how hard I have to work to make 150$. That's over 10 hours of getting my ass handed to me in a busy kitchen. I literally cannot feel my fingers anymore form being burned so much. I literally think of suicide because of how much I hate my job, but am stuck there until I somehow find a "better" job. Knowing I was just cheated out of my money is one of the worst feelings, because I know there nothing I can do. You won't refund me my money, you wont even offer an apology, and I bet not even a real person will read this. I'm just so frustrated that I have to write this somewhere. God help me. I hate this life. At every turn someone is trying to take advantage of you. I never had good parents to watch out for me and have had to learn form making every mistake possible. Just **bleep**. **bleep** me for being so naïve. **bleep** me for never giving myself a chance to be something better than a hourly paid grunt. I hate my life so much and TurboTax has literally just made it worse.   

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

@ZachC64 

I'm reading it, and I'm a real person (at least I like to think so.)  😁   But I don't work for TurboTax.   This is mainly a user community forum, not a direct route to TurboTax Support.  And I'm also sorry you encountered that situation.   When you saw it was going to charge you, if you had posted in this forum before actually paying, we may have been able to guide you to a different product, such as the free providers available through the IRS Free File website (not TurboTax, however.) 

You mentioned a brokerage account.  So is the 1099 you mention a 1099-B?  If so, to report a 1099-B using TurboTax requires the Premier Edition or higher, which are paid products.

You wrote: "If you make under 60k a year, you DO NOT HAVE TO PAY."

I'm not sure where you saw that.     If you had to upgrade to Deluxe or higher, then a TurboTax return is not free.  

You wrote:  "You won't refund me my money.."

I assume that means you already phoned and talked to TurboTax Customer Support.   Unfortunately, they are the only ones that consider anything account-specific.

If you wish to share your experience with Intuit corporate, here's how you can provide feedback that will be seen very high in the company.   You can go to the page below.  Just below the page's large title, you'll see a screen-wide blue banner that prominently says:

"Do you have a question, concern, or feedback about an Intuit product or service?"

There is a "Send an email" link with an arrow.  It goes to a designated person in the office of the president of Intuit, and they should assign it to the right team for review.    I would suggest using civil language without expletives, however.

NOTE:  Do NOT send any sensitive personal data since that is regular email--not secure email.

https://www.intuit.com/company/executives/

ADDENDUM

@ ZachC64   wrote:  "You have no idea how hard I have to work to make 150$....

At every turn someone is trying to take advantage of you...

...never giving myself a chance to be something better than a hourly paid grunt."

Hang in there.   I have confidence that you are going to have a better job someday. 

Aside from the expletives 😁 ,  I can tell from the quality of your writing and your attentive use of punctuation that you have the pride to develop whatever skills you want/need.  

ZachC64

Oh I'm sorry its 74k a year which is free to file, its right on the irs website (https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free#:~:text=IRS%20Free%20File%20lets...). Also, even if it was a 1099-B it would still be free to file through another free filing program. You are obviously paid by TurboTax to respond to these comments even though you said you do not work for them, so I assume you work for an outside company contracted by them. I already tried to get refunded but it's not going to happen. I do not thank you for your response. I do not appreciate the info you provided. TurboTax is tire fire garbage and I will not use them again.  

@ ZachC64 wrote:

Also, even if it was a 1099-B it would still be free to file through another free filing program. You are obviously paid by TurboTax to respond to these comments even though you said you do not work for them, so I assume you work for an outside company contracted by them. I already tried to get refunded but it's not going to happen. I do not thank you for your response. I do not appreciate the info you provided. TurboTax is tire fire garbage and I will not use them again.  

Yes, as I mentioned above, it would have been free through a provider at the IRS Free File site.  If someone is being forced to upgrade and hasn't already paid, folks in this user forum often steer them to that IRS site.   TurboTax used to also participate in that IRS Free File program (at a separate TurboTax website), but starting this tax season TurboTax no longer participates in the IRS program.

Sorry, but I don't work for TurboTax or anyone in the least bit connected to them and am certainly not paid.    I'm a long-time TurboTax user and will voluntarily comment in the forum if I see a topic I want to add to.  I posted here because I knew no one from TurboTax was likely to and provided another way you could send them feedback, if desired, where TurboTax folks would see it.  

Please look into therapy.  Life does not have to be such a struggle.  The wonderful thing about life is that once you really make up your mind to change it, you will be amazed at the difference.  There is a book by Napoleon Hill called Think and Grow Rich.  I read it when I was young and struggling.  I followed his ideas, created a plan, and graduated from college.  I still struggled, but each year I did better.  Now the money rolls in so easily, I wonder why I waited so long.

ZachC64

I do appreciate YOUR response. Truth be told, I spent the better part of a decade stuck at the same job I am in now. I had finally had enough and went to college for something I am passionate about (Nutrition), but covid hit right when I graduated. Everything shut down. I was forced back into my past life, and fell deep again into despair. Covid-19 it's self did nothing to me, but the lockdowns and mandates took those 5 years I spent in college trying to start a new life. Now I know that I am using that as an excuse, but it all came at a pivotal moment for me. My ambition, progress, and momentum to change was thwarted. My anger isn't all because of TurboTax, but I am tired of what seems like life in general, kicking me, and kicking me at every turn. Turbotax, and taxation on us simpletons, is just a symptom of the larger system that preys on the small and pointless human lives that make up the day to day grind. In all honesty, 150$ is nothing, but what it represents, the hard labor, the drudgery, the monotony, and toil is why it makes me so angry to lose it, and to lose it all because of my own ignorance and naiveite just pisses me the **bleep** off to no end. Peace be with you, and thank you for offering some actual kind advice. I will learn from my mistakes and become wiser in spite of them.     

Have you considered taking that nutrition degree out of the restaurants and into a hospital or nursing home?  You could be in a place where you plan menus and make sure that people's nutritional needs are being met.  

Sit down and start to write a plan.  Do you need any certifications?  Set a date for when you are going to take exams and get the certification.

Make a list of possible places to work in your area.  Put together a resume.  Go to Indeed.com and type nutrition and see what jobs and salary ranges are in your area.  You might be surprised.  Having your college degree is a definite advantage.  Certification is often the deciding factor in getting any job.  

Sometimes the best way in the door is to take a position that you already know, like cooking and be in a place where you have an opportunity to grow into a manager or director.  I always ask people if they know the difference between a wish and a goal.  They are the same thing except that the goal has a date attached to it.  Turn all your wishes into goals by setting up a calendar with dates and cross them off as you accomplish them.

Once that ball starts rolling, it goes fast.  The first step is to set the goals.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies