Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How does having a small business affect my taxes?

Do I need to file my new small business on my taxes if my income is below a certain threshold,? If so, what what would that be?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

This depends on what type of entity your small business is:

Sch C or Sch F....depends on your other income and follows the filing requirements of 1040...but, if net income from the business is over $400, filing is required for SE tax, regardless of other income and filing requirement

Corporation...must be filed

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1120.pdf

Elected 1120S status

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1120s.pdf

If a partnership

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1065.pdf

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
KarenL4
Employee Tax Expert

Hi, YWebb:

Yes, the IRS requires you to report self-employment income if your net income (business income minus business expenses) from your business is $400 or more since you are also required to pay self-employment taxes on your net income.   Also, you (and the IRS) will receive some 1099 forms based upon other criteria:

• Beginning with tax year 2022 if someone receives payment for goods and services through a third- party payment network, their income will be reported on Form 1099-K if $600 or more was processed as opposed to the current Form 1099-K reporting requirement of 200 transactions and $20,000. This change could impact people working in the gig economy, online sellers, independent contractors, and other self-employed business owners.
  • If you received payments totaling $600 or more from any one of your side jobs during the tax year a company or individual paid you, they should supply you with a Form 1099-NEC for the nonemployee compensation.

Generally speaking, worldwide income is reportable (although not all of it is taxable). This article can get you started on understanding self-employment income.  One big thing many new entrepreneurs miss is the need to pay self-employment taxes.  You can read more about that in the same article.

Good luck and congratulations on the new small business!

Cheers!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies