Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do u know if u can claim a child that received SSI as a dependent what would half income be considered. The child is disabled. She received SSI benefits an I work

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

How do u know if u can claim a child that received SSI as a dependent what would half income be considered. The child is disabled. She received SSI benefits an I work

You need to determine if the child paid for over 50% of their own support.  It is based on what is paid for support, not necessarily on income (for example, some of the child's income may have been used for other things, or went into a savings account).  Here is a worksheet to help you:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf...>

If the child is disabled
Hal_Al
Level 15

There are two issues here.

1. Income vs. support. A child's income does not matter, for whether she can be a dependent or not. (Income matters for other dependents, but not children*). The support test for a child is different than for other dependents. The support test is that the child must not have provided more than half of his own support**. 

2. What do you mean by SSI? Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social security Disability income (SSDI)? SSI is welfare and is not considered the child's money. That is, SSI is third party support, and not support provided by the child. So, the parent can claim the child as a dependent without regard to how much support SSI provides.  SSDI is the child's income/money and the money spent on support counts as support provided by the child. The child will get form SSA-1099 for SSDI, but not SSI.

*There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit or disability requirement, a relationship test and a residence test. Only a QC qualifies the taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit, the Child Tax Credit. They are interrelated but the rules are different for each.

**The support test for a Qualifying Relative dependent is that the taxpayer, who wants to claim him , must have provided more than half his support. 

A child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled

2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships and Welfare (including SSI) are considered third party support and not as support provided by the child.

3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

So, it doesn't matter how much he earned. What matters is how much he spent on support. Money he put into savings does not count as support he spent on him self.

The support value of the home you provided is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants.

Can I claim my adult child that gets ssi as dependent 

She pays 1/4 of the bills so is that less then half her support

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you add up all of the amount that it costs for her to live, and you pay more than half.  Then you can claim her (provided the other conditions are met.)

All major costs will be divided by the number of people in the home.

• Rent, Mortgage, Taxes.
  • Food cost
  • Vehicle cost
  • Electricity, cable, heating

You can also include all of things specifically for her.

• Clothing
  • Medical expenses
  • Other personal items

You would add all of this up

Then divide her SSI by this number. (SSI/Her Expenses)

If the number is less than 0.50 (Less than Half) you can claim her.. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
felixa413
Returning Member

Thank you for your answer. Can you tell me where I can get documentation specifying that a child's SSI is not considered support? I'd like to keep it with my tax records when I file.

Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies