Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kristfen

How do they figure the 1099-Div amount? The boxes I filled in do not come close to that amount.

It shows qualified dividends in box 1- $461.66  how does the total dividends come to 9,616.?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How do they figure the 1099-Div amount? The boxes I filled in do not come close to that amount.

Just enter the boxes from the 1099-B as shown.  If you imported the 1099-DIV form, it's always possible that the import can get scrambled, and you might need to Edit that 1099-DIV form to make sure the numbers imported properly compared to the paper 1099-DIV that broker issued.

For a 1099-DIV form, there should be both a  box 1a and a box 1b.    Box 1b can be a lower number than box 1a  (or can be equal to 1a).....

IF 1a is $9616.xx and 1b is 461.66, the all that is saying is that your total dividends for that -DIV form was 9616.xx, and that a sub-portion of that (461.66) were qualified for special tax treatment.

OR..MAYBE you are looking at the $9616 in a different place: If you finished entering all your 1099-DIV forms, and are back in the main menu page, the total shown there includes both box 1a and box 11 added together...a total of both dividend types.  Thus, if the $9616 was on the main menu page, then that would be including box 11 $$, and box 1a may be a lot lower and closer to the 461.66 in box 1b on your 10990-DIV.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies