Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I type into the search bar?

I'm using the premiere cd version (windows). I'm trying to follow this direction:

"Using the search bar, type K-1 and select the Jump to link in the search results"

On the upper right side of the screen there is a magnifying glass with the word SEARCH. But when I click on it, it doesn't allow me to type anything in. It tells me to type something in but there is no place to do it. What am I doing wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax has removed the Search function from the CD/Download TurboTax software. It has been replaced by the TurboTax Digital Assistant, which is what you see when you click on the word Search with the magnifying glass. All the previous instructions to click on a "Jump to" link no longer work in the TurboTax CD/Download software.

At the bottom of the Digital Assistant window, where it says "Type something," if you click on the words "Type something" you will be able to type there. But you are typing into the Digital Assistant, not Search, and you will not get a "Jump to" link.

To enter a Schedule K-1, click on:

• Federal Taxes
  • Wages & Income
  • I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll down to "Business Items"
  • Click the Start or Update button for Schedules K-1, Q

View solution in original post

11 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax has removed the Search function from the CD/Download TurboTax software. It has been replaced by the TurboTax Digital Assistant, which is what you see when you click on the word Search with the magnifying glass. All the previous instructions to click on a "Jump to" link no longer work in the TurboTax CD/Download software.

At the bottom of the Digital Assistant window, where it says "Type something," if you click on the words "Type something" you will be able to type there. But you are typing into the Digital Assistant, not Search, and you will not get a "Jump to" link.

To enter a Schedule K-1, click on:

• Federal Taxes
  • Wages & Income
  • I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll down to "Business Items"
  • Click the Start or Update button for Schedules K-1, Q

I'm still getting the Jump To link in my Home & Business version on Windows 10.  I click on Search and get the Turbo Tax Help box.  I typed in K-1 at the TOP of the box and hit the Return/Enter key.  I got the Jump to k-1 link.  The trick is to hit enter when you type in the search box.  

Jump K1.jpg

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@VolvoGirl 

The people who can't get the "Jump to" links are not getting the Search box at all. As soon as they click Search they get the TurboTax Digital Assistant. There is no opportunity to type a search term or press Enter. See the screen shot below.

We don't know why you are still getting the old Search. TurboTax might be rolling out the change to a subset of users.

Digital Assistant.png

Yes you're right. It's frustrating and confusing to see a search box and not be able to type in a search term. TT has  to do a fix here. But you told me how to do what I want to do in your first response. It works. Thanks.

@rjs 

Yeah, I had to enter stuff in that bottom box of that pop-up screen first, and go thru some additional selections...then later could use the top box of the pop-up.

______

Strangely, when presented with that bottom box, I tried "1099-R" and later "1099-r", and when following the not-helpful selections , I ended up in the FAQ instructions for an RRB-1099-R.   Their smart "AI" stinks and hope no one follows that.   

______

But once I got the inappropriate RRB-1099-R FAQ, the top box was then presented, and searching 1099-R again, that worked properly with the Jump-to taking me to where I needed to be in the actual software.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I'm still at the stage where I'm seeing the digital assistance, as does rjs.

However, there is a (terribly inelegant) workaround. If you continue to type, for example, "K1" at the bottom when you first bring up the search (digital assistant) box, eventually you should see a link that leads to a K-1 FAQ. If you then click on that link, the search box will appear as it used to appear; you can then type "K1" at the top of the box and the jump to link will appear.

Untitled.png2.png

Same here, exactly, @SteamTrain

I think it goes without saying that they really do need to fix this, at least in the 2023 desktop versions.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@SteamTrain @tagteam 

How ridiculous! But thanks for the workaround.

Yes, it seems that once you get to an FAQ, the Search box appears. The FAQ doesn't have to be related to what you are searching for. Any FAQ will do. So here's a relatively quick way to get the Search box. When the Digital Assistant first opens, click "Amend tax returns." Then click "Tax-year 2022." Then the Search box will appear.

I also see that the Digital Assistant is remembering all of the interactions, even after I close the tax return and open a different return. The only way to get rid of the history seems to be to exit from TurboTax. When you run it again, the Digital Assistant starts over.

Interesting.  There seems to be a work around.  But how  come I don't get the Digital Assistant at all?  Am I the only one?  I must be special.  

@VolvoGirl wrote:

....But how  come I don't get the Digital Assistant at all?  Am I the only one? 

That question is burning a hole in my brain (so I will have multiple holes).

We've asked but have not yet received any kind of a response. 

@VolvoGirl 

1) The very first time I opened the "Digital Assistant", it took a real long time to load.

2) Even then, most times I tried, it presented me with that stupid confirmation screen to prove you are a real person....forget what you call it for the moment...where you have to click all the boxes that have a fireplug in it..or a bus....whatever.

3) I go tired of #2, so then I noticed that I wasn't "Signed In"....you know, that spot at the bottom of the "File" menu drop down.

....3a) so I logged in there, and hit "Search" again......so now I kept getting an error for the new "Digital Assistant" screen...no matter which test file I was trying.

....3b) so I shut down TTX, and restarted it, and now clicking on the "Search" gave me the digital assistant pop-up screen without asking for verification that I was a real person.

_____

They've got a LOT OF WORK to do with that new "thingey".

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies