Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I transmit returns? I get the message, "Duplicate filing found in same transmission, 2023 transmissions are not available not ready to process for this return.

I have trouble transmitting my returns on Home and Business Turbotax version. What do these messages mean?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

How do I transmit returns? I get the message, "Duplicate filing found in same transmission, 2023 transmissions are not available not ready to process for this return.

Your error contains conflicting information.  If it is a duplicate filing, then the forms have been transmitted already.  Let's check to see the return status in TurboTax.  Follow these steps.  

To check your e-file status, sign in to TurboTax, and go to Tax Home (if you're not already there). If you've submitted your return, you'll see a pending, rejected, or accepted status.

If already transmitted, then nothing else to do.  Wait for your email on whether accepted or rejected.

If an error continues to exist, please clear your cookies, history and cache'.

Cookies are small files that temporarily store data on your computer. We use them to personalize your experience so you see information you already entered and not items that are irrelevant or repetitive.

On rare occasions, they may make your browser think you already did something that you still need to do. To fix that, you'll need to delete (clear) the cookies from your browser.

Each browser has a slightly different method for deleting cookies. Choose the browser you're using:

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Doesn't your answer about clearing your cookies, history and cache' only apply to turbotax online user?  I should have mentioned that I used the desktop version of turbotax.  I checked my turbotax account just in case but I didn't see anything about the status of my filing.  I had two turbotax customer support people helping me over the phone last night, but they couldn't find anything wrong.  They concluded that I should try to transmit returns at a later date in hopes that the problem may be caused by something Federal or State (NY) may be working on to update on their end.  What do you think?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Are you getting your return rejected from the IRS with this error or within TurboTax?

Within turbotax.  By the way, I decided to try filing just my federal return, and it worked!  Now I know it's the New York return I cannot transmit.  I am still getting the same error message.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Interesting. At what point to you see this error? You may need to delete the state and complete it over.

I get the error messages in the "Transmit Your Returns" page right after I click the orange button. Ok, I may have to do the state return over. Or should I wait in case the problem is with New York State and they may be updating their system? My federal return was accepted by IRS already this afternoon.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I'm haven't see this as an issue so I don't think it is a NY problem.

-

I just found this post about the exact same issue I'm having.  Been a Turbo Tax Deluxe user for many years, using the CD version.  Each year I E-file Federal, NJ and NY at the same time.  Never had an issue until I tried to transmit my 2023 return yesterday.  Interesting that the other person experiencing this problem posted just two days ago with the same issue resulting.  That person's return, like mine, included a NY State return.  I've cleaned out the cache and history in all my browsers and tried to transmit at least five times.  When I hit the "Transmit Return" button, I get an error message from Intuit that says "Duplicate Filing found in same transmission. Please contact customer support.  Tax Year 2023 transmissions are not available. Turbo Tax is not ready to process Tax Year 2023 for this return."  Then I go to the "Check E-File Status" section of the Turbo Tax program and it tells me I have not yet E-Filed any of my returns (Federal, NJ, NY).  I believe the problem lies with the NY State Division of Taxation server at this point.  Rather than to try and E-File my Federal return separately first, then each state individually, I'll wait at least another few days to see if NY has corrected the problem and try transmitting all three of my returns at the same time again.  Meantime, can the folks at Intuit/Turbo Tax check with the NY State Division of Taxation to see what they can find out regarding problems with accepting E-filed Turbo Tax 2023 returns on their end and post a response here to let us know if they confirmed that there's a problem on their end?

Thank you for your comment!  I was encouraged by finding another person receiving the identical error messages for NY state return.  When I deleted the old and tried to transmit my newly created NY return, I did not get the "Duplicate filing found in the same transmission" message, but when I tried to transmit again soon after, the same message returned.  I still received the other message, "Tax Year 2023 transmissions are not available. Turbo Tax is not ready to process Tax Year 2023 for this return." This tells me that turbotax kept transmitting, but NY is just not ready to process the return yet.  I hope that's all there is to it.  I am also going to wait a few days before I try to resubmit...

I just made a successful transmission!  I decided to eliminate NY estimated tax payments I set up with turbotax and see what would happen, and it worked!  I set up the payments directly with NYS website instead, and it was no big deal.   I don't know if this applies to people with estimated tax set up in other states, but if they don't want to keep wondering what the error messages mean any longer, try what I did.  Good luck!

I guess I could have waited for Turbotax to be ready to process the NY estimated tax payments, but the wait would have been so painful!

JDM4
Level 1

This sounds like my problem.  I got 4 copies of the error messages which would correspond to the 4 direct debit estimated tax payments.  I can't figure out how to delete the direct debit requests for the 4 estimated payments - how did you do that after trying to submit the return?  When I step through my NY return again to change it, I get a message to contact NY State to change my estimated payments.  I just need to change it in Turbotax since return not submitted.  Thx!!

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Sounds like your state return has been submitted to NY.  Once the return has been submitted you will need to wait to see if it is accepted or rejected before making changes.  If rejected, you can go back into the state to delete the forms you do not need.  If accepted, you will have to contact NY state to make any changes.

If it is rejected, I suggest just deleting the estimated tax forms prior to submitting again.On the menu bar on the left that shows. 

1. Select Tax Tools
  2. On the drop-down select Tools
  3. On the Pop-Up menu select Delete a Form
  4. This will give you all of the forms in your return
  5. Scroll down to the form you want to delete
  6. Select the Form
  7. Click on Delete.

Always use extreme caution when deleting information from your tax return.  There could be unintended consequences. 

@JDM4 

I feel your pain...  You said your NY return didn't go through yet, right?  Then, just go back to your return and do the step by step for NY return.  Click Update "2024 estimates, request extension, amend" section, and  You will come to the page asking you if you want to set up New York estimated tax for 2024?, then you just say "No"! This should eliminate the payments you already set up all together.  Another option is to go to the list of forms, and delete forms called Estimated Wks, Est Tax Pmt Rec, and IT-2015s). I think this should work, too.  

Wish you good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies