Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I separate multiple accounts from one brokerage (one owned by me, one owned by my wife)?

When I import the accounts, TurboTax puts them all together under the name of the brokerage.  I want to separate them:  interest and dividents from my XYZ account, and interest and dividends from my wife's XYZ account.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How do I separate multiple accounts from one brokerage (one owned by me, one owned by my wife)?

The only way to do what you want would be to manually enter one spouse's broker and dividends.  

Then, for example, say you both used Charles Schwab, for her account (if that is one manually entered) you would call it Charles Schwab-S (for spouse).  

If you both have stock transactions and do imports on both, just delete the interest and dividends and this will easier to reinput only these. 

Multiple Brokerage Accounts
If you have a single broker for multiple accounts, when the selecting to add another account for the same broker: Clear cookies and then search for your broker via the search bar rather than clicking the broker icon. This should allow the screen to input account information and import the data. 

Such an awesome work around. Don't click the icon and search it, it works!! Thanks a lot.

jdvicto
Returning Member

At least for Schwab, one do this in Step-by-Step by selecting the desired accounts via the checkboxes in the broker's interface page, do the imports, then go to Forms and then add an identifying suffix to the form name.  But caution!  if you go back to Step-by-Step and import again, Turbotax seems to delete the already-imported forms even if you have renamed them.

swohrle

Clearing cookies worked for me!!!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies