Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How do I reopen my file to add another w2

3 Replies
Expert Alumni

How do I reopen my file to add another w2

It depends on where you are in the filing process.  If you got another form like a W-2 after filing or you forgot to add something you can still fix your return.


You'll want to determine if the IRS or state has accepted the information you already filed. If the IRS or state has accepted it, you'll see Accepted as the status of your return when you sign in to TurboTax (in Tax Home) or when you open the CD/Download Turbotax software. If they have accepted your return, then you may need to amend your tax return.


If your return was rejected, you can add the missing form or information, correct the reason for rejection and resubmit.  If you forgot to add something like dependent information, a deduction you qualify for, or even used the wrong filing status it can have a significant impact to your tax bottom line (your refund or amount due).  Some info doesn't make a difference monetarily, but can still be something the IRS or state needs corrected. Your best bet is to correct (amend) the information and send it back to the IRS or state.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
New Member

How do I reopen my file to add another w2

I would like to reopen my filing to add 4 pieces of income and estimated payments.

Expert Alumni

How do I reopen my file to add another w2

You can amend e-filed returns if they've been accepted; paper-filed returns may be amended once they've been mailed.

If your e-file is still pending, you won't be able to make changes until the IRS either accepts or rejects it. Don't know your e-file status? Here's how to look it up.

Select your tax year for amending instructions:

IRS Form 1040-X (amend your return) will be ready on March 25, 2021. Sign up for email notification and we'll let you know when the most current form is available.

When you're ready to amend, find your situation below and follow the instructions.


TurboTax Online

TurboTax CD/Download

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings