Solved: How do I post a negative value? Error Check: "Negative values are not allowed on this field." Other Deductions Worksheet: Travel = -9200.

How do I post a negative value? Error Check: "Negative values are not allowed on this field." Other Deductions Worksheet: Travel = -9200.

In the prior year 2016, my business had travel expenses of $9200. In the current year 2017, those expenses were paid by the client so travel is -$9200. I had no other travel until 2018, so my total travel expenses for 2017 is -$9200. 

The field on this worksheet will not allow a negative value for field Travel. Supporting details are there, adding up to the negative value.

Thanks!

Since you reported this expense on a prior tax return, the reimbursement you received this year must be reported as business income. As you discovered, you are not able to enter a negative number for an expense.

Excellent, thank you! I created journal entries that debited the travel expense account and credited Reimbursed Expenses (Income). I recognized each of the reimbursements in QB on the date that the invoice from the customer paying the expense was received. On the P&L report, this total value appeared as "Reimbursed Expenses" in Income. I used "Other Income" line 5 on 1120S. Makes so much sense now, much appreciated.