turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I make a section 1.266-1 to capitalize carrying charges within turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

"How do I make a section 1.266-1 to capitalize carrying charges within turbotax?"

There is no way to make the election from "within turbotax" in any of the online versions of the program. 

In the desktop (CD/Download) versions you can generate a blank form (using Forms Mode), type verbiage to effectuate the election directly on the form, and then submit that form along with the rest of your return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

comment deleted

"How do I make a section 1.266-1 to capitalize carrying charges within turbotax?"

There is no way to make the election from "within turbotax" in any of the online versions of the program. 

In the desktop (CD/Download) versions you can generate a blank form (using Forms Mode), type verbiage to effectuate the election directly on the form, and then submit that form along with the rest of your return.

makenamaui
Returning Member

Though this may not be a perfect solution, I have used it for the past few years to enable me to file electronically despite this being missing from the software.  I have found a closely related form which can
be filled in with the text needed.  To navigate to it, open form 3115.  You will not use that form, but on the top there are 3 quick zoom links.  They are Elections Smart Worksheets.  They relate to elections to treat small capital expenditures, for example on a rental property, as Expenses.  The first of them is for small amounts totaling under $2500.  The second is for amounts over that.  None of that matters, you won't need them.  The third one is for 1.263(a)-3(n) "Election to Capitalize Repair and Maintenance Costs"  This is almost perfect for what you want, except you really want: 1.266-1 Election to Capitalize Carrying Costs which doesn't have a form.  No matter.  The only requirement is that you attach a statement to your return claiming your election, it doesn't affect your taxes.  

SO, I open that third form, then use the boxes to type in what is required:
ELECTION TO CAPITALIZE CARRYING COSTS
For the tax year 2018, taxpayer hereby elects under Code Section 266
and IRS Regulations 1.266-1 to capitalize, rather than deduct, property
taxes on vacant lots:
XXX County AZ APN #XXX-XX-XXX-XX 3.5ac Lot $234.56
XXX County AZ APN #XXX-XX-XXX-XX 2.5ac Lot $123.45
etc.

There are plenty of lines to enter to get your statement in, and electronically transmitted as part of your return, and I am betting that in an audit you could easily show you attached the required words to your return, they are there, printed in black and white, even though they are not on a separate page.

Based on a response I saw to a different question I used a similar solution so I could electronically file my 1.266-1 election.  Select Forms mode (upper left) then click on Open Form (top center) select Blank Form from the listing.  I used this form to document my election and it appears to be included with the electronic filing since it shows up when I print the "as filed" return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies