Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

acn13

How do I know if my employer is a State or Local Government? It’s asking because in box 12 I put code G. I contribute to deferred compensation, a 457plan.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

How do I know if my employer is a State or Local Government? It’s asking because in box 12 I put code G. I contribute to deferred compensation, a 457plan.

A 457 plan is for government employers.  

TurboTax is asking so that it handles that entry correctly. 

The program is not asking if your employer is a State Government Employer or if your employer is instead a Local Government Employer, it is asking if you work for a government employer (state or local doesn't natter) 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So I work for a city government with a 457 retirement plan…when I put yes for state or local government it doesn’t give me the retirement savings credit…when I click no it does give me the credit. Any thoughts on why that is? Everything I’ve found says you have to be a government employee for the 457 to count towards retirement tax credit.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

@Calicoat

What code(s) is in box 12 of the Form W-2 you received from this employer?  Is the "Retirement plan" box checked in Box 13? 

If the income wasn't from a W-2, what form are you looking at?  Please clarify.

Sorry…12G and yes the retirement box is checked. I clicked yes for state or local government and the retirement savings credit said I didn’t contribute to a retirement account so I didn’t get the retirement savings credit. Then when I went back through w2 info I clicked no on state or local government and the retirement savings credit popped in. 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

457(b) contributions are eligible for the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit.

TurboTax Online is putting the information in backwards on the screen Is your [company] a state or local government. 

If you answer YES, TurboTax puts in a NO, disallowing you for the credit.

Answering No will give you the credit.

This question is not in CD\Download.

The IRS says you can receive credit for elective salary deferral contributions to a 401(k), 403(b), governmental 457(b), SARSEP, or SIMPLE plan.

Retirement Savings Contributions Credit (Saver’s Credit)

@ErnieS0 

Thank you so much! I was afraid something like that was happening! 

hayshal
Returning Member

Has this error been corrected by Turbo Tax Online? I tried clicking both yes and no but my refund amount stays the same so unsure if it's filling it out correctly.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Since you get the same answer either way, your income may be too high to qualify based on your filing status. See What is the 2022 Saver's Credit?

@hayshal 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies