Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shelka04
Returning Member

How do I import my cryptocurrency transactions from cointracker in PC version of TurboTax?

I've got some crypto transactions I can't figure out how to import

Looks like there is only a direct link to import from cointracker via the online version of TurboTax.  OK, so which file then do I want to import into the PC premium verion?  And from what I recall from last year doesn't it have to go in via the FILE:  Import: From Accounting Software   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

How do I import my cryptocurrency transactions from cointracker in PC version of TurboTax?

You can use the cryptocurrency import and other features with the TurboTax Online Premier and Self-employed versions, only.  

One option is to start a free tax return in TurboTax Premier Online. You don't pay for the return until you file it, so you won't have to pay the Online fee.  Enter (import) your cryptocurrency information in the Crypto section, and then save the .tax file (not PDF).  You can then open the tax file in TurboTax desktop, add the rest of your tax data and file.

The other option would be to file using the Online software and get a refund for the desktop program.

According to IRS Notice 2014-21, the IRS considers cryptocurrency to be property, and capital gains and losses need to be reported on Schedule D and Form 8949 if necessary.

Like other capital gains and losses, your gain may be short-term or long-term, depending on how long you held the cryptocurrency before selling or exchanging it.

• If you owned the cryptocurrency for one year or less before spending or selling it, any profits are typically short-term capital gains, which are taxed at your ordinary income rate.
  • If you held the cryptocurrency for more than one year, any profits are typically long-term capital gains, subject to long-term capital gains tax rates.

How you report cryptocurrency on your tax return depends on how you got it and how you used it. To read more, click here.

Related information: 

Source: DawnC

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies