turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I import my crypto csv file into Turbo Tax Home & Business

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

67 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

For some reason, TurboTax has not yet included the crypto import feature in the cd/Desktop versions of TurboTax.  It is only found in the online Premier and online Self-Employed versions of TurboTax. 

Good luck importing into the online version. Every time I try importing the .csv file from Bittrex, I get an error,
"Please make sure your CSV file has columns for Currency Name, Purchase Date, Cost Basis, Date sold, and Proceeds, then try uploading again."
It's either the crypto csv file is structured different than what Turbo requires or excell is messing with things or who knows.

I am NOT happy!  I paid a lot for my downloadable version of Home and Business and I should be able to import crypto information for my 2018 taxes.  What the heck???

Is an updated version for Prem CD?Desk coming out soon for an CSV upload? Really not a good productt for Crypto investors...
lendrik

Seriously, how does it make sense to NOT include it into home & business version? I was so hopeful I could use the import.

This is big dummy move by Turbo Tax!!!  Mad as heeeeel
goodnoon

It really sucks the more expensive CD version does not have the crypto feature the cheaper online version has.
CryptoTraderTax
Returning Member

You can still upload crypto information into the download/ CD version of turbotax. 

File > Import > From Accounting Software > Other Financial Software TXF file.

You can automatically create your necessary cryptocurrency tax reports that can then be exported right into the CD version or the online version by using one of TurboTax's cryptocurrency partners. The process for uploading your transactions into the CD version is walked through in-depth in this article:

https://help.cryptotrader.tax/articles/2657181-turbotax-desktop-version-how-to-upload-your-data-with...

CryptoTraderTax
Returning Member

If you traded on multiple different cryptocurrency exchanges, TurboTax does not have the ability to automatically build your 8949 because you need to have your cost basis and fair market value data for each trade.

To solve this problem, you can use one of TurboTax's cryptocurrency partners to automatically build and export your crypto tax reports that can then be imported right into TurboTax online.

lilcheez

Ok, but how do you do it? 

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

What is your specific question regarding reporting your crypto gains and losses on your tax return? If your question involves reconciling your trades, purchases, and sales, you will need to reconcile this activity before it can be reported on your return. Please see the TurboTax FAQ for more information about reporting cryptocurrency activity.

@lilcheez

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Incorrect.. this only allows a .TXF file.. not the files provided by most crypto exchanges. It a failure on their part to say it supports something that it clearly does not. Or at least there should be a real work around.

At the moment we (consumers of Turbo Tax no-web based software), have been under frustration, due to the fact that importing Form 1099B*, for cryptocurrency, is unavailable. Can we please have an update on the status of implementing this feature into the Turbo Tax Home and Business software?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Have you tried this? This explains how to import from cointracker

If you want to import the file into TurboTax, you will want to use the TurboTax downloaded software. Due note, that the import is limited to the first 500 lines

Follow the steps below to import your cryptocurrency transactions:

• Click on the Personal Income Tab
  • Scroll down to the Investment Income and choose Start next to Stocks, Mutual Funds. Bonds, Other
  • Click Yes when asked “Did you sell Any Investments in 2017?”
  • You will then have the option to Import from a TXF file.

You can also import import from bitcoin.tax. Review this link to find more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies