I did the IRS Sales Tax Deduction Calculator. Per IRS: State=6.2500%. Local 1.100%. I entered 7.35%. Turbo Tax Premeier has my deduction as $797. IRS has that it is $937. What income is this based on; Income 1040, Line 7 (taxable), or total income (taxable + nontaxable). Should I try and override the $797 and change it to $937 or leave it alone? Thanks
Follow these directions:
- Under Deductions & credits / Your tax breaks, scroll down to Estimates and other taxes paid.
- Click on Start/Revisit to the right of Sales Tax.
- Under How do you want to enter your sales tax info?, click on EasyGuide.
- Under Places you lived, you can click on Add a location.
- Under Tell us the sales tax rate you paid while living in state, you enter the Total Sales Tax Rate that you paid.
See also this TurboTax Help.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Thanks. I got that far. It asks what Locality Group; 1, 2, or 3. I live in Illinois near St. Louis. I can not find the Locality Group even using Google. Program wants me to fix this error and I don’t know how to find the answer.