turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get more than 5 efiles? Is there another product with additional efiles>

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

47 Replies
HelenC1
Intuit Alumni

How do I get more than 5 efiles? Is there another product with additional efiles>

You would have to buy another TurboTax product, with a different email address, to file five (5) additional income tax returns. However, you could file as many paper returns as you like and mail them in.

Our license agreement doesn't allow the use of TurboTax for commercial or professional tax preparation. If you need to e-file multiple returns and you are a professional tax preparer, take a look at our ProSeries or Lacerte software.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So you only have to use a different email address?  Are you positive because last year I e-filed 5 returns from my desktop computer and after those 5 were filed, I attempted to uninstall that version of TT and install the new one that I purchased with the new keycode and when I got to the end of my first return, it told me I had already reached my maximum of 5 returns.  I'm not sure what I was doing wrong because I don't know where I was associated with MY email.  Maybe when information rolled over from previous years in startup?  I had to install it on my laptop instead to have access to e-file 5 more and then a 3rd computer to finish the family.  

I might be interested in buying the Pro Series but not if it's like CPA software.  I like the completely simplicity of Turbo Tax Deluxe for easy returns (and I haven't worked in a CPA office in 30 years) plus if that's the cost every year... FORGET IT!!!  Buying 2 cheap laptops for the extra e-files would be cheaper. 🙂

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You can prepare as many returns as you want with the CD/Download version of TurboTax. It's just that you can only e-file five returns. The rest can be printed and mailed. 

You would have to buy another TurboTax product, with a different email address, to file five (5) additional income tax returns. However, you could file as many paper returns as you like and mail them in.

If you want to use any of the "pro" tax software you will need an  Electronic Filing Identification Number (EFIN) in order to efile any returns.

I called Intuit about the 5 e-file maximum. They advised setting up a unique user id and unique email address (and use a unique cell phone number when prompted within the e-file section) for each turbotax program that is purchased for use on a single computer. This is apparently a common practice among family members, neighbors, and co-workers. They also advised creating a spreadsheet to chart which family members', etc returns are filed with each userid/email so that the 5 e-file maximum per program is followed.  My understanding is that the 5 e-file rule per tax program is an IRS restriction to help slow identity theft and refund theft.  Also, keep in mind that tax preparers who charge money for their services are supposed to register with the IRS as paid preparers. The above comments are not directed to paid preparers.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@hopekonz Yes, you are correct.  The 5-e-file maximum is per IRS regulations.  Thank you for sharing this information with the TurboTax Community. 

The following Help Article contains additional information for those who are interested:  How many returns can I e-file in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

OmgTaxes
Returning Member

So let's get this straight: is it your contract with the IRS that prohibits this, or is it your software use policy which forces us to the 5-efile limit?  There's a huge difference.

The federal government doesn't care if you prepare taxes for other companies using TurboxTax if your are registered.  What If I own 6 companies, get registered and want to use Trubotax?  

The "professional" tax programs all gouge you with per-form fees that can quadruple the cost of a single tax return and it is in Intuit's own best interest to prevent you from exceeding 5 e-files.  This limit has nothing at all to do with IRS regulations and has everything to do with squeezing more money out of its customers.

@OmgTaxes The IRS limit is five federal e-files.  It is not a TurboTax limit.    If you have more than five federal tax returns to file then the extra ones can be printed, signed and mailed.

If you are a professional tax preparer with the credentials to use professional tax software then you are not limited to five returns.   Folks using "do-it-yourself" tax software such as TurboTax are limited to five federal e-files.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
OmgTaxes
Returning Member

No, that is not correct.  They use that restriction as an excuse. registered preparers would use it in an instant if TurboTax/Intuit would simply let them do so, and that has nothing at all to do with IRS regulations and is exclusivly a choice made by Intuit to put a squeeze on it's own customers, because once you begin to use the "professional" programs, you pay all kinds of fees for each form you have to use throughout your filing process ginning up hundreds in fees that are simply free money for Intuit.

IRS has nothing at all to do with that limitation being put into TurboTax.

Start googling to see how many federal returns you can file with some of the other do-it-yourself software programs such as H & R Block, TaxSlayer, etc. and let us know what you find out.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@OmgTaxes 

Here is a link to the IRS Publication that explains the rule.   Read page 36, about the middle of the page, under "Additional Requirements for Participants in Online Filing."

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1345.pdf

The *5 return limitation ONLY applies to personal tax returns and not business returns filed using the TT BUSINESS program.   

ajpriore

So if I buy H&R Block software and Turbo Tax and run them on the same computer, I would get 5 E files from each for a total of 10? 

Unknown ... you can try it and see.   But why don't you use one of the IRS FREE FILE options for all those who qualify to use them.   For 2021 your AGI just had to be $73K or less.  https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

ajpriore

The returns are for family members who don't qualify for the free IRS filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies