turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

jris
Returning Member

How do I fix the “check this entry” error when filing a 1099-NEC that says I need to link a schedule C?

I cannot get past the page "Looks like we're missing some info". I have answered all the questions and done this over a dozen times. Can I get some specific help without the same answer being given every time? I've deleted 1099-NEC and done it again. Please please help. I've been trying to finish this for over 6 hours now.

How do I fix the “check this entry” error when filing a 1099-NEC that says I need to link a schedule C?

I am having the same problem as previous users list. When I go to "Review" it says I have information missing and the link to Schedule C doesn't exist or work. 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Have you followed these steps?

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC must be included on Schedule C. If you entered the 1099-NEC but did not complete the Schedule C, you will get this error. 

  

Revisit the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry, by following these steps: 

  

1. Open TurboTax. 

2. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner). 

3. Type in “1099-NEC” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find), 

4. Click on “Jump to 1099-NEC” 

5. Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link 

  

This will bring you a summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one. 

  

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return. 

  

Follow these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return: 

  

1. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner). 

2. Type in “schedule c” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find). 

3. Click on “Jump to schedule c”. 

4. Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link 

  

If you already have created a Schedule C in your return, click on edit and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC.  

  

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC along with any additional income you received for that business.   

  

Once you have completed this, the error should be eliminated.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

We have all told y'all multiple times that this method does not work. None of these suggestions have yielded any results so please stop repeating the same thing like it's going to help someone.

There's barely over a week left to file and this is still an issue.

I finally got this to work by doing the following:

1) Review 

2) Deleting the 1099-NECs when it says that it will delete them 

How is this still an issue in May?? Why hasn’t this been fixed? Why wasn’t I told there was an existing issue before I had to search Google to find this?? Why are you making taxes harder than they need to be? I’ve used your service for years and I’m about to finish filing with someone else who will actually complete my taxes correctly. Unacceptable. 

dave_n_kc

I've been dealing with this issue since February.  I assumed it was a software glitch that would get patched.  Apparently I was wrong (about getting the patch fixed).

I do not require a Form 1099-NEC but kept receiving the "check this entry" message anyway.  I did not have any 1099-NEC forms to delete so I created a bogus one then deleted it.  After doing so I was able to go through the review process without the "check this entry" message.

I hope this workaround helps somebody else.

dixielee777
Returning Member

I do not have a 1099-NEC. I am trying to fix a line in part V under the box for prize money from the olympics

dixielee777
Returning Member

This is not working! To begin with when I was finished with my return and did the check for errors, it said in schedule C in part V there was a line blank which needed and entry. So I put in an enrty to see if it would work. Nope. It says the text is invalid and to remove all preceding spaces or invalid characters. It will not let me do ANYTHING.

Delete the schedule C if it is not needed.

1. Tax Tools
  2. Tools
  3. Delete a form

if you are using the schedule C, part 5 is asking for other expenses. If it is a number they want, put $1. If it is a description, enter miscellaneous.

So I followed the search for 1099 steps and turns out I had multiples of the same 1099's, the ones that said missing info, I just deleted and it went more smoothly after that!

Hopefully this helps someone.

I am so frustrated by this. I've done everything outlined in this whole thread several times and nothing works. When I put schedule c into the search and do the jump to schedule c it just takes me to the 1099-nec section and no matter what I do I can't find schedule c. I've deleted and reput my information in for hours and I'm so sick and tired of this. I'm paying for this??

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Two suggestions may help clear your experience.  

1. Delete the Form 1099-NEC and enter the income directly on Schedule C as 'Other Self Employment Income'
  2. After deleting the form and before you enter the income on your Schedule C close your return, then use the instructions below to clear cache and cookies.  

It handles many issues that seem nonsensical on a regular basis. 

• Close your TurboTax return first.

Watch to be sure you are selecting 'all time' as example.  Do not use selections like 'last hour' for those browsers that give  you options.

Once this is complete open your return and select to enter your income. 

1. Search (upper right) type schedule c > Jump to... link
  2. Begin your entry and see the image below

@sashatiara

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies