turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Patricknola
Returning Member

How do I file and or complete my taxes without a 1099 from Lyft? (without a tax summary/without a 1099)

I know what you are thinking, that this question has already been asked, but this is a somewhat more complicated version, so if anybody can help, I'd really appreciate it. To summarize, my Lyft driving account was deleted (at my request), but I idiotically didn't retrieve my Lyft tax information (1099 MISC/K) in time, which also includes a tax summary, for the year of 2019. I contacted customer support and they were unable to assist me. I've collected all my car rental payments from Lyft's Express Drive program. I've collected all my payments/deposits from Lyft, listed in my bank statements, BUT I still don't have records of the transactional fees that would normally be deducted (Lyft platform fees, service fees, third-party fees).  I gave more than 200 rides, the payments I collected added up to around $11,766 (the rental costs already being deducted), but there is no way to calculate the gross profit/income that would normally be a much larger number, including all the other fees charged to the passengers and what not. I simply don't want to get in trouble with the IRS because of a tax mistake I might make. Any advice?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
yagayee

How do I file and or complete my taxes without a 1099 from Lyft? (without a tax summary/without a 1099)

Did you ever figure out what to do?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

I suggest you take your request for records up a few levels at Lyft.  Ask for a supervisor, and then maybe that person's supervisor, etc.until you get the information you need.  It seems that Lyft would a least keep records of the  transactional fees, or tell you how they were calculated.

If all efforts fail, reconstruct your income and expenses as best you can.  If the IRS should send you a letter with questions, just explain what happened and the steps you took to recreate the income and expense figures.  They can be very reasonable.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies