How do I figure the tax to pay on unemployment ben...

judithmj

How do I figure the tax to pay on unemployment benefits and the stimulus check? .

Bsch4477

No tax is due on the stimulus payment. It is not taxed. Unemployment is taxed at your marginal tax rate. Some states do not tax unemployment income. 

The stimulus money is not taxable.

Unemployment compensation is taxable on your federal return.  Enter your 1099G for unemployment in Federal>Wages and Income>Unemployment

You might need to get your 1099G from the state’s unemployment site.

STATES THAT TAX UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS

AZ, AR, CO, CT, DE, DC, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, NB, NM, NY,NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, RI, SC, UT, VT, WV, WI

Unemployment compensation is taxable on your federal return.  Enter your 1099G for unemployment in Federal>Wages and Income>Unemployment.  You might need to get your 1099G from the state’s unemployment site.

STATES THAT DO NOT  TAX UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS on the state return

AK, CA, FL, MT, NH, NJ, NV ,PA, SD, TN, TX, VA, WA, WY