turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I enter stock's acquired date as Various? Because Turbo tax only let me enter the numeric date such as 01/01/2016 instead of "Various".

ReneeM7122  Appreciate your response. The issue happens even with a Valid Date(as suggested by you). It's a bug.

How do I enter stock's acquired date as Various? Because Turbo tax only let me enter the numeric date such as 01/01/2016 instead of "Various".

I had the same issues that many people here are having. I called TurboTax twice, on the phone almost 3 hours, and went through all the suggestions mentioned here, but did not help. 

So I deleted my stock income portion and chose to manually input the information myself instead of syncing to my trading account. Instead of input the sales individually (which was a long list), I selected to input the total of each sections instead. This information can be found in the summary of your 1099-B. At the end, I was required to upload a pdf file of my 1099-B. And I was able to proceed to e-file my tax without problem after that. 

Hope this help some of you!

OMG! Thanks a lot!!!

I have three brokers (RH, Webull, and TD), it seems only Webull had an issue.

I followed your steps and everything worked well.

thanks a lot!

Please note that reporting using summary method (as stated above) might require you to manually Mail documents to IRS. Please refer to the below link. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/turbo-tax-says-i-must-mail-form-8453-8453-wants-m...

that's exactly why this bug needs to be fixed immediately, or a refund should be provided so I can file with a service that allows successful e-file.

cobiak14

Read the instructions  in your Turbo Tax Premier carefully for this item.  If your brokerage has given you a statement combining all transactions, there is an option to enter your info in this way.  Makes it extremely easy if you've had lots of transactions!  

cobiak14

You must have Turbo Tax Premier edition and use the option for all transactions for the year, not daily.

@cactusgg Did you get an update on this? 

@imazeno, after a few calls they still had not fixed the bug. I had to enter my stock sales manually or attempt to get a refund.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

We have some recent information regarding entries on the 1099-B form:

Why is my 1099-B missing its acquired date?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@cactusgg I am still having the issue. Did you get any update on this? 

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@imaze,  Did you review the FAQ provided above by JeanneLO? It provides a suggestion as well as an option to sign up for updates regarding the issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@imaze , @cactusgg 

I was directed to this help article by @Cynthiad66 that solved my issues with the "VARIOUS" acquisition date problem that shows up when I tried to finish information for my state taxes.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-enter-a-large-number-of-stock-tra...

My experience:

I had already imported the data from my investment firm for my Federal taxes; it automatically input "VARIOUS" for certain acquisitions. When I got to my state taxes and needed to mark whether or not to exclude the, I ran up against the same issue as everyone else here. 

I posted my question and @Cynthiad66 answered with the article above.

In order to be able to enter the summary data, I had to search "stock sales" as suggested in the help article, and then it would let me enter the summary data. After I checked that info against what I had imported, I deleted the imported info. Then, in order to enter the recommended acquisition dates for my State filing, I had to delete the State return I had previously started, and run through everything again (didn't take very long).

Hope that helps.

Forgot to mention that I did get prompted to upload a PDF copy of my 1099-B to file since I deleted the imported data. I have not finalized my filing yet, so not sure what that looks like in my documentation.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies