turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I download 1099B from Computershare

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

First make sure you know your control number, see this: Importing Tax Data from Computershare into TurboTax®

Then follow these steps: How do I import my 1099?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

HI: Done all that and keep getting a massage to try later, this is the fifth time i try same thing each time! in two days, im try the Premium Version! last two years i use home & business and had NO problem importing my computershare! Is the problem with the Premium Version software?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

To clarify, are you using TurboTax Online or TurboTax Desktop?

@joe858

The 1099 might not be ready to import yet.  You have to ask Computershare.  Maybe their website will say.    Some places are not ready until late February.   

Maybe this will help.  When can you import a 1099?

When will I be able to import my 1099?

Hi: I was able to import but now I have another problem. I want to get the import for my wife shares, turbotax has my name on them and it wants me to review why? it doesn't let me edit!

(AS you could see my name is on them not my wife name ) Review your 1099-DIV info
Review the 1099-B and DIV info we've collected so far and add any we don't have yet.
Payer Name Name Box 1a Ordinary Dividends Box 1b Qualified Dividends Box 2a Capital Gain Distribution
Needs review
WALMART INC C/O COMPUTERSHARE
Joe$0.00$0.00$0.00
Review
Needs review
WALMART INC C/O COMPUTERSHARE
Joe$46.05$46.05$0.00
Review
Total $46.05$46.05$0.0
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Since the import is causing a 'needs review' experience, I suggest you remove that entry, however you may want to try to remove any data your computer is remembering that you wanted it to forget.  If that doesn't do the trick move to the next step below.

It may be easier to delete the information from the import, then enter this transaction (Form 1099-DIV) manually. Write down the correct amounts and boxes to fill in before you delete the imported entry.

Error.png

Has anyone been able to download 1099B from Computershare into TurboTax yet?

I keep receiving this message 

Their website says starting February 18, or later.....

Thanks

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are using the Download/Desktop version, you will need to make sure you have updated your software.  To manually update for Windows, please see the Help Article here.  For Mac, please see this Help Article.  

To troubleshoot a Windows installation.

To troubleshoot a Mac installation. 

Please see the Help Article here that provides troubleshooting steps for importing 1099s.  The instructions mention Schwab but that is just to serve as an example.

@Mizio 

pvon284
Returning Member

I get the same error.  I just sent an inquiry to Computershare.  I'll see if they respond.

computershare 1099B import error.jpg

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You can always use direct entry if you choose, with summary totals.  The only exception if wash sales, which must be entered separately, if you have any.

TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return (if it's not already open) and search for stock sales
  2. Select the Jump to link in the search results
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell any of these investments in 2023?
    • If you land on Your investment sales summary, select Add more sales
  4. On the OK, let’s start with one investment type screen, select Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, then Continue
  5. On the Let's import your tax info screen, select I'll type it myself
  6. Step through the interview and select Sales section totals when prompted to choose how to enter your sales
  7. You'll now be able to enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Continue
  8. You can add additional sales totals by selecting the Add another sales total on the Review your sales section totals screen

TurboTax CD/Download:

1. Open or continue your return (if it's not already open) and search for stock sales
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell any investments in 2023?
    • If you land on Here’s all the investment accounts we have so far, select Add more sales
  4. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for these sales?
  5. On the screen Let Us Enter Your Investment Sale Info, select I’ll type it in myself and Continue
  6. Enter the name of your bank or brokerage on the screen Which bank or brokerage sent you this form? and Continue
  7. On the screen Tell us about your 1099-B, select I’ll enter a summary for each sales category
  8. You'll now be able to enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Continue
  9. On the screen Do you have another sale to enter from your 1099-B? select Yes to enter more sales from your 1099-B, or No to see a summary of the sales you already entered, then select Continue
  10. Once you’ve entered all the sales on your 1099-B, you’ll see a summary of all the sales reported. Select Done

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements (1099-Bs or other document showing detailed sales information) along with Form 8453 to: 

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254 

Receipt and Control Branch 

Austin, TX 73344-0254

If you need a blank Form 8453, you can download this pdf, enter your address information and check the box for Form 8949 (this form is really just a cover sheet)

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You can always use direct entry if you choose, with summary totals.  The only exception if wash sales, which must be entered separately, if you have any.

TurboTax Online:

3. Answer Yes to Did you sell any of these investments in 2023?
    • If you land on Your investment sales summary, select Add more sales
  4. On the OK, let’s start with one investment type screen, select Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, then Continue
  5. On the Let's import your tax info screen, select I'll type it myself
  6. Step through the interview and select Sales section totals when prompted to choose how to enter your sales
  7. You'll now be able to enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Continue
  8. You can add additional sales totals by selecting the Add another sales total on the Review your sales section totals screen

TurboTax CD/Download:

3. Answer Yes to Did you sell any investments in 2023?
    • If you land on Here’s all the investment accounts we have so far, select Add more sales
  4. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for these sales?
  5. On the screen Let Us Enter Your Investment Sale Info, select I’ll type it in myself and Continue
  6. Enter the name of your bank or brokerage on the screen Which bank or brokerage sent you this form? and Continue
  7. On the screen Tell us about your 1099-B, select I’ll enter a summary for each sales category
  8. You'll now be able to enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Continue
  9. On the screen Do you have another sale to enter from your 1099-B? select Yes to enter more sales from your 1099-B, or No to see a summary of the sales you already entered, then select Continue
  10. Once you’ve entered all the sales on your 1099-B, you’ll see a summary of all the sales reported. Select Done

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements (1099-Bs or other document showing detailed sales information) along with Form 8453 to: 

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254 

Receipt and Control Branch 

Austin, TX 73344-0254

If you need a blank Form 8453, you can download this pdf, enter your address information and check the box for Form 8949 (this form is really just a cover sheet)

This company says they don't list a control number and to refer to Intuit (now called EquatePlus btw).  So how do you download when a company doesn't list a control number.  Thanks. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies