Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mamaelder

How do I delink a W2 statatory income from one schedule c and get it to its own schedule c

My final check tells me I can't have W2 Statutory income on the same schedule c as 1099 Misc Income but when I look at the print outs it is not on the same schedule C but the program will not let me file the return

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

How do I delink a W2 statatory income from one schedule c and get it to its own schedule c

Here are the steps the link your W-2 to your correct Schedule C.  If you have a 1099-MISC for another business, it will need to go on its own schedule C.  You can have multiple Scedules Cs on one tax return.   Just give the businesses different descriptions, and TurboTax will walk you through setting each of them up.  You will end up with multiple self-employment profiles TurboTax.  For the Statutory Income from a W-2, do this:

1. In TurboTax, go to Federal Taxes, then Wages & Income and enter/edit your W-2
  2. Ensure that Box 13 "statutory employee" is checked
  3. Click Continue when finished
  4. Click Continue again
  5. Check "None of the above" if this is accurate, and click Continue
  6. "Any Related Business Expenses?" Click "Yes"
  7. Go through the interview questions.  You will set up your new Schedule C (statutory) here
  8. Your W-2 Income is now linked to Schedule C

Don't link the W-2 to the 1099-MISC business.  

My W-2 (correctly) does not have Statutory Employee checked in box13, but Turbo Tax has it linked to my 1099-NEC, Schedule C, line 1.e. which has a zero showing on that line, and calls the W-2 out as saying that I am a Statutory Employee.  The comment reads "Schedule C (Research Consulting): Line 1e: W2 Statutory cannot be reported on the same Schedule C as other business income.  Either remove any amount entered for statutory employee income or unlink the W-2 worksheet from this copy of Schedule C and link it to a different Schedule C.

This W-2 shouldn't be linked to any Schedule C. 

How do I fix it?  I've deleted my W2 and reloaded it several times, but the Schedule C "Statutory Employee" CHECK  Box remains.

Thanks!

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

I am not sure where your schedule c got linked to your W2.  I have tried and can only get this to happen by checking the box on the W2.  However, when I uncheck the box the schedule C remains a statutory employee schedule C and stays linked to the W2 even though I unchecked the box.  The only way I could unlink the two was to delete the schedule C and re-enter it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies