How do I deduct the $10,200 unemployment tax break...

jkuna13b

How do I deduct the $10,200 unemployment tax break?

rjs

You don't have to do anything. When you enter your 1099-G for unemployment, TurboTax will automatically give you the $10,200 exclusion. The exclusion will appear on Schedule 1 line 8.

If you have already filed your tax return without the exclusion, the IRS will recalculate your tax return and send you the additional refund for the $10,200 exclusion. It might take several months to get it. DO NOT file an amended return. For details see the following IRS announcement.

IRS to recalculate taxes on unemployment benefits; refunds to start in May

You do not deduct it.   You just enter your 1099G and let the software do the calculations.   The software is all up to date for unemployment and will calculate how much--if any--of your unemployment is taxable.

Enter your 1099G in Federal>Wages & Income>Unemployment

Go through the screens very carefully, making sure  to enter any federal/state tax you had withheld from the unemployment.