You are entitled to this refundable credit if you:
Paid the nursing home assessment imposed on a New York State nursing home. You can find the amount of this assessment on the billing statement or other statements provided to a resident by the nursing home. The assessment amount is not the amount of expenses paid.
- You can claim the credit only if you actually paid the assessment. For example, you may claim the credit if your mother is a nursing home resident and you paid the assessment on her behalf. If your mother paid the assessment, only she can claim the credit.
- If you are a nursing home resident and assign your long-term insurance benefits to the nursing home, you may claim a credit for the amount of those insurance benefits that represent the assessment payment.
- You cannot claim the credit for any part of the assessment paid directly to the nursing home by a health insurance policy, with public funds (such as, Medicaid or Medicare), or paid by a trust or other entity.
How much is the credit?
- The credit is equal to the 6% base-rate portion of the assessment (not the amount of expenses paid) that you directly paid during the year.
This credit would be claimed on Form IT-258 Claim for Nursing Home Assessment Credit
In TurboTax, please see the following:
- Click State Taxes
- You will follow a couple of prompts until you see this page: Take a look at New York credits and taxes
- Your Home section
- Nursing Home Assessment Paid with Your Own Funds, click Start