Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hollb0012

How do I apply my homestead exemption to my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NatalieC

Homestead exemption is a reduction in the assessed valuation of the real estate you use as your main home (which results in an overall lower real estate tax bill). The exemption is not entered anywhere on your federal income tax return.

Homestead exemptions are usually filed at your county courthouse, at the tax assessor's office.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
NatalieC

Homestead exemption is a reduction in the assessed valuation of the real estate you use as your main home (which results in an overall lower real estate tax bill). The exemption is not entered anywhere on your federal income tax return.

Homestead exemptions are usually filed at your county courthouse, at the tax assessor's office.

Would like 2 get my taxes done but am also,wanting 2 add in homestead 2 my tax returns does turbo tax offer that?

rogerpegjones
Returning Member

Turbo filed my tax last night, I always get a homestead refund of 700$ or more.  How can I get this, I have always just filed with AARP and they took care of it.  I am on fixed income and need this.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

What state do you reside in? Numerous states have the Homestead credit. Please comment back and I can assist you further. 

@rogerpegjones

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hincej80

First year owning my house and I filed the homestead with my county. I didn't see anywhere where it applied any additional refund into my taxes on Turbo... how do I check this? 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Depends on the state, but usually the homestead credit is added to the state return or decreases your property tax (which would not be on a tax return at all). 

I live in Pennsylvania, and have been approved for the Homestead/Farmstead exclusion, but don't know how to apply it when filing my tax return.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@pookiebear2468 The Homestead Tax Exemption in Pennsylvania is a reduction of your property tax, it is not associated with your income tax filing. You can learn more about it here:

https://dced.pa.gov/local-government/property-tax-relief-homestead-exclusion/

Jesus1s1

I am filing state return using turbo tax how do I get my credit for homestead also

Jesus1s1

I am filing state return using turbo tax  (in Texas) how do I get my credit for homestead also

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Texas does not have a state income tax and no return is needed for the state. You would file for the homestead exemption separately. Click on the Application for Residential Homestead Exemption and follow the instructions.

How do I get a general $25,000 homestead exemption?

For the $25,000 general homestead exemption, you may submit an Application for Residential Homestead Exemption (PDF) and supporting documentation, with the appraisal district where the property is located. Once you receive the exemption, you do not need to reapply unless the chief appraiser sends you a new application. In that case, you must file the new application. If you should move or your qualification ends, you must inform the appraisal district in writing before the next May 1st. A list of appraisal district addresses and phone numbers is available online.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies