turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I apply for ITIN for the first time. I have never applied for a federal tax return in USA before since I have just moved few months ago.

Is it possible to apply and receive an ITIN number first in mail, and then apply for federal tax return? 

The Instructions for Form W-7 states that I need to have original tax return(s) for which the ITIN is needed. Attach Form W-7 to the front of your tax return. However I have not yet filed my return yet?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

How do I apply for ITIN for the first time. I have never applied for a federal tax return in USA before since I have just moved few months ago.

You MIGHT not be able to use TurboTax for your tax return.

What type of Visa do you have (if any)?  Exactly when did you come to the US?

about 5 months ago

Unless you have a Green Card, you can not use TurboTax this year because you are a Nonresident Alien (although there are certain elections that might change things, but TurboTax does not do those elections).  Even if you do have a Green Card, TurboTax does not really do everything it should for your situation.   I recommend going to a tax professional that is EXPERIENCED with Nonresident Aliens.

Thanks for response. Another thing. I have a child born in USA. Do I need to obtain ITIN for my child?
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If the child is born in the USA, you should have received a social security application or number for that child.  You can ask the hospital if they sent the application or contact the Social Security Administration.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp">https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp</a>

Thanks. For the ITIN, can I apply for my spouse's ITIN before filing out and bringing in the federal tax returns at local IRS office?

what is your visa status?

TN visa

" 5 months ago" Were you here in 2017
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Enter "Applied For" in the social security number slot under the My Info tab (TurboTax online version), or Personal Info tab (TurboTax desktop version)  if that doesn't allow you to proceed to file by mail try the SSNs shown below. If you use numbers, be sure to white them out after print and before mailing your return.

Prepare a Form W7, for each person who needs an ITIN, then include it with the required documentation with your return.  File the return to this address.

Internal Revenue Service . ITIN Operation . PO Box 149342 . Austin TX 78714-9342

FYI, this applies to the current tax year, 2017. Follow these steps to prepare your return for mailing.

1. Complete Form W-7 - IRS.gov (IRS - W7 Instructions)
  2. Complete your federal and state tax returns using the number 999-88-9999 in place of a Social Security Number.
  3. Print the tax returns and cross off the 999-88-9999 from the SSN field. Do not attempt to e-file your return.
  4. Write "Applying for ITIN; Application attached" next to the SSN field.
  5. Mail the signed federal return, the completed Form W-7, and all documentation required by the Form W-7 (Alternatively, you may choose to take all this information in-person to a local IRS office for processing.)  
  6. If you need to file a state tax return: Mail the signed state return and a copy of Form W-7 to your state's regular filing address. 

Thank you for information

Hi, I have the same situation right now. I started to work on 23 January 2019 ( today is September 4, 2019) now my wife and daughter needs their ITIN, I have a TN Visa and they have a TD Visa, the W7 form says that I need the tax return form but I never filled one because I just have less than 8 months working. If I don't have the tax return form what should I do? 

What did you do harishcan01in ?

You apply for the ITIN with the 2019 tax return next year ... you cannot apply for it until then. 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@harishcan01in , @sharmeladepoo  agreeing with the comments by @Critter  and others, because you  appear to be citizens of Canada ( or MX )  having NAFTA professional  visa,  you are   (a) considered Non-Resident alien  till you meet substantial presence test ( 183 days present in the USA counting all days in 2019, 1/3 rd days present in 2018 and 1/6th days in 2017) and thereafter   Resident Alien for tax purposes.  (b) often during the first year  you are dual status  tax payer but if you stay here more than  six months i.e. you are resident alien by the end of the tax year, it is easier to file a resident for  purposes;  (c) TurboTax does not support  form 1040-NR used by  Non-Resident filers -- they suggest use of SprinTax , their partner but you can also use a  tax professional  familiar with NAFTA filing.  ( d)as mentioned above, you can file for ITIN along with your tax return -- W-7 plus all the  documents required and the ITIN  will be issued  retroactively for the  tax year  but of course that means filing by mail -- print,  mark the SSN/ITIN area with NRA ( Non-Resident Alien ),  sign/date, attach W-7 and its  documentation  and mail the whole package to the IRS for the state you are in

Hope this , in addition to the above  comments  by others clears up this situation -- if you need more specific help, please feel welcome to add your questions -- will come back and  respond

Manage cookies