Is it possible to apply and receive an ITIN number first in mail, and then apply for federal tax return?
The Instructions for Form W-7 states that I need to have original tax return(s) for which the ITIN is needed. Attach Form W-7 to the front of your tax return. However I have not yet filed my return yet?
Enter "Applied For" in the social security number slot under the My Info tab (TurboTax online version), or Personal Info tab (TurboTax desktop version) if that doesn't allow you to proceed to file by mail try the SSNs shown below. If you use numbers, be sure to white them out after print and before mailing your return.
Prepare a Form W7, for each person who needs an ITIN, then include it with the required documentation with your return. File the return to this address.
Internal Revenue Service . ITIN Operation . PO Box 149342 . Austin TX 78714-9342
FYI, this applies to the current tax year, 2017. Follow these steps to prepare your return for mailing.
- Complete Form W-7 - IRS.gov (IRS - W7 Instructions)
- Complete your federal and state tax returns using the number 999-88-9999 in place of a Social Security Number.
- Print the tax returns and cross off the 999-88-9999 from the SSN field. Do not attempt to e-file your return.
- Write "Applying for ITIN; Application attached" next to the SSN field.
- Mail the signed federal return, the completed Form W-7, and all documentation required by the Form W-7 (Alternatively, you may choose to take all this information in-person to a local IRS office for processing.)
- If you need to file a state tax return: Mail the signed state return and a copy of Form W-7 to your state's regular filing address.
Hi, I have the same situation right now. I started to work on 23 January 2019 ( today is September 4, 2019) now my wife and daughter needs their ITIN, I have a TN Visa and they have a TD Visa, the W7 form says that I need the tax return form but I never filled one because I just have less than 8 months working. If I don't have the tax return form what should I do?
What did you do harishcan01in ?
@harishcan01in , @sharmeladepoo agreeing with the comments by @Critter and others, because you appear to be citizens of Canada ( or MX ) having NAFTA professional visa, you are (a) considered Non-Resident alien till you meet substantial presence test ( 183 days present in the USA counting all days in 2019, 1/3 rd days present in 2018 and 1/6th days in 2017) and thereafter Resident Alien for tax purposes. (b) often during the first year you are dual status tax payer but if you stay here more than six months i.e. you are resident alien by the end of the tax year, it is easier to file a resident for purposes; (c) TurboTax does not support form 1040-NR used by Non-Resident filers -- they suggest use of SprinTax , their partner but you can also use a tax professional familiar with NAFTA filing. ( d)as mentioned above, you can file for ITIN along with your tax return -- W-7 plus all the documents required and the ITIN will be issued retroactively for the tax year but of course that means filing by mail -- print, mark the SSN/ITIN area with NRA ( Non-Resident Alien ), sign/date, attach W-7 and its documentation and mail the whole package to the IRS for the state you are in
Hope this , in addition to the above comments by others clears up this situation -- if you need more specific help, please feel welcome to add your questions -- will come back and respond