Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I add State return to the TurboTax that I purchased?

In previous years, TurboTax Deluxe was available with State return. Not so this year, so I'd like to know how to get the State Return add-on.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Where did you buy the program ?   If you bought it  outside of TT then they are sold with and without the state program... you had to be careful and read the box.   If you bought the fed only program then you can purchase the state when you get to the state interview section. 

Your post shows you are using the TurboTax online editions.  The state program using the online editions is an additional charge that is currently $39.  Click on State on the left side of the online program screen to start a state tax return.

If you are actually using one of the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions of Deluxe or higher there is one free state program download included in the purchase price, if you purchased the software from TurboTax.  Click on Online at the top of the the desktop program screen and then click on Download State.

However, if you purchased the TurboTax Deluxe edition software from a retailer, the Deluxe edition comes in two flavors.  One with and one without the free state program download.  Check the box or check the website where it was purchased and verify that it includes one state download.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you trying to e-file your State return before your Federal return?  You will need to file your Federal return first, then wait until it is Accepted before you e-file your State return.  For more information on this, please see this Help Article.  

If your Federal return has been Accepted, please see this Help Article on how to file your State return.  The article also includes links for other Help Articles to similar scenarios as well.  If you still need additional assistance, please reach out here in the thread. 

@cougarfinn

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies