Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

davidmschrader
Returning Member

How do I account for Australia withholding tax...

I'm a photographer living in California.  I sell my work through various photo stock agencies.  One of those companies is Canva, which is located in Australia.  They have a tax treaty with the US that allows them to withhold taxes based on my yearly earnings .  They don't send me a 1099; they just send me a simple e-mail stating how much money I made and how much money was withheld.  For the latest period, they withheld $86.20; on their statement it's simply listed as "tax withheld."  I'm assuming they send this money to the IRS?  So how should I enter this using TurboTax?  The "Other Income" section?  But my main question is how can I get the credit for the tax paid?  Wouldn't it lower my tax amount due by $86.20?  Where/how do I enter this info using TurboTax?  Additionally, I'm a US citizen, and don't physically work in Australia.  The company has an "ABN" number; other than that, no other info other than basics like location, contact info, etc.  It's a small amount, but nowadays every dollar saved counts!  Thanks in advance to any advice given.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I believe the amount withheld would be reported under "Foreign Tax Paid".

davidmschrader
Returning Member

Well, that sort of works, but it requires that I list the income as "personal income" as opposed to "business income," which it is.  Doing it this way lists my earnings as "wages," which they're not; they're royalties.  But it did reduce my tax amount by almost the same amount as was originally withheld, so I went ahead and listed it this way.  It's not a big amount, so even if I did it incorrectly, the affect on my overall return is negligible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies