turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mightyash

My total income on the tax summary is showing more than our actual income... Why would this happen? I have checked my numbers over and over.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

My total income on the tax summary is showing more than our actual income... Why would this happen? I have checked my numbers over and over.

Have you looked at your actual Form 1040?   Here's how to preview the Form 1040 for free during preparation:

Log in and open your 2017 return if not already open.   ("Take me to my return")
    Once the return is open and past the blue-green screen, click on "Tax Tools" in the left menu column.  
    Then choose TOOLS.
    In the Tools popup window choose "View Tax Summary."
    Once the Tax Summary appears, review that Summary screen then go over to the left menu column again and choose "Preview My 1040" to bring up the actual 1040.

To view/print all the forms in your return during preparation, you can pay in advance and will then have viewing/printing privileges.  We can tell you how, if desired.
mightyash

First off THANK YOU for responding! It shows my income PLUS taxable interest of $18,559 (that's the interest we paid on our house why is considered income? We paid it to the bank, they didn't pay it to us...) So confused.

Sorry.  I can't help you with that.  Did you enter the house interest in the wrong section?  DId you enter it in the Income section as Interest Income instead of in the Deductions section where there are questions about your home?

You can keep watching the thread and someone may respond here tonight.   Or you can phone TurboTax Support for assistance if you don't get help here, or if you want live realtime help to help you troubleshoot and talk you through the screens.  They are open until 9 PM Pacific (12 Midnight Eastern.)

FAQ:  How do I contact TurboTax?
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401489">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401489</a>
mightyash

Thanks! I'm thinking it's a glitch at this point... really do appreciate your help!

If it's on the actual Form 1040 like that, then this is not a common problem.  If it was a program "bug", it would have many users reporting the same issue, since home mortgage interest is common.   It will just take some detective work to track down what is going on.
mightyash

Well I did the friendly walkthrough version and everything was dandy until I had it check for errors. Then it asked for that box from my 1098. Then I lost all of my federal refund and owed on top of that. I knew something was wrong then. It took some searching to realize my total income was wrong...

Are you actually seeing it on Line 8a of the Form 1040?
mightyash

I was, yes. Then I manually deleted it and everything seems right now. I know I didn't put it there initially though.
mightyash

All good now, thank you again!

How did you manually delete it?  Are you using Online TurboTax or desktop CD/download version?

You're welcome.  I didn't really do anything.  🙂
mightyash

But you did! You put the spotlight on the problem for me. Sometimes you just need another voice in your head! yes desktop CD-ROM version. I guess I'm old now...

I had assumed you were using Online TurboTax, since it shows Online Deluxe by your user name at the top.  So those steps I posted about "Preview My 1040", and paying for print privileges, doesn't apply to your CD version.  Those are Online instructions.

You have Forms Mode in the desktop product..

You may wish to run another Error Check to be sure all is OK.   Be sure to review your return carefully before filing.

See above discussion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies