turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can i email my turbotax file to my accountant?

I need to send the turbo tax file to my cpa.  H eis going to import it into his "pro" software.  How do I do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

Here is information about getting you tax data file to another computer:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302258

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Randy701

I don't see any help here.  The link just takes you back to the question page.  Still don't have the answer to the question:  How do I mail my turbotax file to my accountant?  Before I file it.

@Randy701 wrote:

I don't see any help here.  The link just takes you back to the question page.  Still don't have the answer to the question:  How do I mail my turbotax file to my accountant?  Before I file it.

If using Turbotax on your own computer, locate your data file.  It is named something like "John Smith 2021.tax2021" and should be in your Documents folder unless you moved it.  If using Turbotax online, download your tax data file using these instructions.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/save-turbotax-o...

In either case, consider taking the file to your accountant by hand on a flash drive, or use an email service with encryption.  Regular email may not be secure. 

Carl
Level 15

I don't think professional software can import a .tax202x file anyway. It may be able to import historic data from a prior year tax file. But I really don't think you can open a .tax2021 file with any "professional" tax software. Most likely the best you can do is to provide them a PDF copy or hard copy printout.

@Carl wrote:

I don't think professional software can import a .tax202x file anyway. It may be able to import historic data from a prior year tax file. But I really don't think you can open a .tax2021 file with any "professional" tax software. Most likely the best you can do is to provide them a PDF copy or hard copy printout.

According to the relevant community forums, both ProSeries and Lacerte can import a .tax20xx file from Turbotax. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies