Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vatchy

How can I download the form 8879 used for my 2021 tax filing?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

There is no such form in a DIY program ... that form is ONLY used pay paid tax pros.  

vatchy

My company wants the e-file signature authorization form for when I did my taxes online with TurboTax.

Well tell them there is no such form when you file your own return using a DIY program.  The form 8879 is ONLY used by paid tax professionals and NOT any of the DIY tax programs. 

You can print a form 1040 and ink sign it for the idiot   and/or  give them a copy of the email you got  for the successful efiling  and/or  print a copy of the filing history report from the PDF.  

Your return's electronic filing status history records all e-filing activity related to the return, including the Electronic Postmark. You can print it out if needed. 

TurboTax Online

https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp  -- enter the Social Security number of the first taxpayer on the return and the ZIP code to retrieve your filing status history.

TurboTax CD/Download software

(Windows) From the TurboTax File menu, select Electronic Filing > Show Electronic Filing Status History.
(Mac) From the TurboTax File menu, select Check E-Filing Status.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

No Form 8879 was used for your tax filing.

Does your company understand that you filed your tax return yourself, and did not pay anyone to file it for you? You do not have to sign a form to authorize yourself to file your own tax return. Form 8879 is used to authorize a paid tax preparer to e-file your tax return for you. If there is no paid preparer, there is no Form 8879.

kandy-52

I want to efile my tax return but the Form 8879 authorizing efile is not showing up?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@kandy-52  Form 8879 is not included in TurboTax because it is never used when you file your tax return yourself with TurboTax. Form 8879 is used only to authorize a paid tax preparer to e-file your tax return for you. You don't have to authorize yourself to file your own tax return.

kandy-52

I failed to mention that I am doing taxes for others as well in Turbo Tax for free.  DO I need to complete the 8879. 

Thank you

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You cannot use TurboTax to prepare returns for paying clients. TurboTax is only for do-it-yourself consumer use and cannot be used by paid preparers. Intuit (the company that makes TurboTax) has three tax software product lines for professional preparers: ProSeries, Lacerte, and ProConnect. You can find information about all three product lines at the following link.

Intuit Professional Tax Software

If you are doing tax returns for friends or relatives who are not paying you, you do not need Form 8879. You are not a paid preparer.

This does not seem to be correct info. I used the free TaxSlayer last year and it provided the 8879 used into my downloadable PDF. But TurboTax only includes the basic forms used in it's PDF, which excludes the used 8879. I'm looking right at my 8879 from TaxSlayer 2022, and it is called "IRS e-file Signature Authorization". It includes my e-signature for e-filing, as well as my PIN that I created. An important document to retain. I e-filed with TurboTax for 2023, plus made a PIN so 8879 was definitely used, but TurboTax hides the form in it's downloadable PDF. Not cool. I am done with TurboTax and will use TaxSlayer from now. Transparency, and access to all my forms is very important.

I think TurboTax doesn't want its name on your return so it is not liable. TaxSlayer puts their name on it.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Choose the year you want to print.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies