turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I change depreciation from straight line to double declining method with half year calculation in Sched E? It defaults to SL monthly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How can I change depreciation from straight line to double declining method with half year calculation in Sched E? It defaults to SL monthly.

what type of property 

Turbotax should be selecting the best method based on what you entered for the type of asset.

buildings are depreciated using the straight-line method and mid-month convention over 27.5 years for residential real estate  and 39 years for commercial - types I and J1

It is a residential rental so it should be 27.5. It accurately gets the 27.5 but then it does SL/MM. I acquired this property late in the year (October) and I'm trying to depreciate at half a year DD/HY. How can I change the method and convention?

1.png

Sorry but it doesn't work that way ... a residential use building cannot use the DD/HY method ... the ONLY option is the SL/MM method that the program does correctly automatically.  

@Conde 

I agree with @Critter-3 , for what that is worth.

You cannot use an improper method and TurboTax is selecting the proper one. This can be subject to an override in the program but you would do that at your own peril. 

As a side note, I do not quite understand why you might possibly believe that putting residential rental real estate in service late in the year would give you an option to select a different method of depreciation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies