Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home office – Excess RE taxes and Mort Int when NOT itemizing

I’ve always itemized in the past, but with the recent tax code changes we don’t have enough deductions to do that this year. When I imported last year's return, TT H&B carried forward my lenders in the Deductions and Credits of the Personal section. One lender is for the loan, and one is for points being amortized from the original lender (the original lender sold the loan after we refinanced, but we still have that same loan so we are amortizing the points we paid).

Before realizing we wouldn't have enough deductions to itemize, I entered all our PERSONAL deductible expenses like I’ve always done (medical, charity, mortgage interest, taxes, etc.) but the total was less than our standard deduction. So we will use the standard deduction, but I didn't go back and remove any of the deductions I entered because I like keeping all those numbers in one place and having the details I document about them. 

Moving on... when working on our Home Office expense for our business, the real estate taxes and interest carry over from the Personal Deductions and Credits, just like they have in years past, and TT H&B automatically does those calculations based on the office percentage. However, this is the first year we haven’t been able to itemize and I’m now in uncharted territory when it comes to handling this.

TT H&B is telling me that if I am NOT itemizing then I shouldn’t enter the taxes and interest in the places they usually get transferred to automatically from the Personal section, and instead to enter these amounts as “Excess taxes and interest”.

This is incredibly confusing. I would expect TT to see that I’m not able to itemize and would do what needs to be done automatically, at least up until the point that my itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction.

The instructions are clear enough but I still don’t understand what is happening behind the scenes. What does entering these things as “Excess” do and how does it affect my taxes? Is this supposed to be the FULL amount of property taxes and interest that was reported on 1098, or do I have to do some calculating to determine this "Excess"?

The place it says NOT to enter mortgage interest currently shows the amount that was entered in the Deductions and Credits section and doesn't allow me to remove it. Do I need to delete the lenders in the Deductions and Credits section that are “linked” to the home office, and then manually enter the FULL tax and interest paid amounts in the Home Office section as Excess tax and interest? What about the other deductions I’ve entered (medical, charity…)? Do they need to be removed as well so TT doesn’t think I’m trying to itemize?

What about the points being amortized? Is that considered Excess too?

Some additional clarity and guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Hello,

I had the same nightmare.

Too much work for nothing.

I blame TTx software for this for not being emphatetic to these changes.

I nosed around for answers and found an answer that applies.  Click on forms on the top right side.

All your forms will pop out on left.  Choose the ones you do not need or have no impact on deductions.

Delete these and it will clear this entries.

This will clear the way for you to standard deduct.

Hope this helps.

TurboTax sucks this time.  Too much time.

The 2018 tax laws is awful.....

Thanks for the idea.  My main problem is that even if I do this, I don't know what I'm looking for in the home office section to know if it worked or if I'm entering the right numbers in the right places. I'm so used to TT doing everything for you that it makes me incredibly uncomfortable when I need to force or enter something manually outside of the the step by step walk-through. Yeah these tax changes have wreaked havok on everyone this year. I haven't determined yet if they are a good thing or a bad thing, but right now I'm not happy with any of it. Better explanations and more examples might would go a long way in helping taxpayers at least understand why something has changed and a better idea of what they should be looking for. I don't have to like the changes, but I can get used to them if I understand the purpose.

There were a lot of changes that TT had to incorporate and some were pretty complex, so I get that there will be issues that come up they hadn't thought about or areas that need some improvement. I spent 15 years developing and "breaking" software for quality control purposes. I break TT all the time without even trying, so there are definitely areas they need to improve on. Right now, I just care about making sure I'm filing my return correctly and TT isn't giving me any warm fuzzies.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies