turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a real estate agent recieving a 1099 do i have to report as a busniess or self employed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MorganQ

I am a real estate agent recieving a 1099 do i have to report as a busniess or self employed

Hi there, 

Yes.  Real Estate Agents who receive their income reported on a Form 1099-MISC are considered Sole Proprietors and should report this income as a business or self-employed. Your income and expenses need to be reported on a Schedule C. When you do your taxes with TurboTax, we'll fill out the Schedule C for you and walk you through any self-employed expenses you might have. 

For more information on Schedule C, please see below: 

Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business is an IRS form filed by sole proprietors and other self-employed taxpayers.

It tallies up the business's income and expenses, and the net income (or loss) flows from Schedule C to Form 1040, Line 12.

TurboTax automatically creates Schedule C (or Schedule C-EZ) when you enter your business information or when you enter what the IRS considers self-employment income, which is often reported on Form 1099-MISC.

On returns that only require Schedule C-EZ, TurboTax also generates a Schedule C, but this is only used for calculation purposes and isn't filed with the return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies