Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help with filing taxes by Oct 15 due to not receiving corrected W2c

For the tax year 2022, my company did not withhold FICA taxes from my payroll due to my visa status. However, I later realized that I am required to pay FICA taxes regardless of my visa status, as I am considered a resident for tax purposes. Additionally, my W2 form underreported my total income by almost $20,000, further complicating the situation.

As a result of these issues, I missed the tax filing deadline and had to file a tax extension in April. I calculated my taxes owed and paid a generous amount to avoid any penalties. Despite repeatedly raising this issue with my company's payroll and ADP for almost 5 months, I still haven't received my corrected W2 (W2c) for the tax year 2022.

I am concerned that if I file my taxes using the incorrect W2, it will indicate that the IRS owes me a refund for the taxes I paid, which is not accurate. I want to ensure my tax filing is accurate and reflects the corrected information. Considering the circumstances, what specific actions should I take at this point to file my taxes by the October 15 deadline? I am worried about the potential refund discrepancy, and your guidance on resolving this issue promptly would be immensely helpful. Thank you for your assistance."

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Pur the missing $20,000 on Form 4852.

You won't get a large refund.

When you get the W-2c, you  can amend and delete that form.

@manukris 

If you will have a refund when things have been corrected  then filing late is not a problem ... there will be no penalties or interest.   Only folks who owe need to worry about the extension deadline.  

If you insist on filing now  then you can simply amend later. 

" I calculated my taxes owed"

@Critter-3 's assuming you did an overestimation for safety and paid too much.

And that the corrected W-2c will show a sufficient amount of tax withheld.

@manukris 

@fanfare Thank you, so i just need to file the 4852 and put down the social security as money i owe and then also put down the extra 20k, in this way i can file the amendment whenever i get W2C? Also, how would it affect the state tax filing? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies