Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

westcoastin510
Returning Member

Help with check this entry. Carryover worksheet total with held payments must be entered. CA tax return

Hi I have been using TurboTax for the pasts couple of years and my previous year's information would auto-populate for the current tax year. Why am I getting this popup and how can I fix it?

In last year's tax return, my income was unemployment benefits, and a few online sales of around 4k. I also used the covid 19 look back income from 2019

help.JPGhelp2.JPG

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
HopeS
Expert Alumni

Help with check this entry. Carryover worksheet total with held payments must be entered. CA tax return

To obtain the prior year's California tax paid you will need to review your 2021 Form 540 Line 71 -78.  If you don't have a copy of your  2021 tax return, please follow the instructions below to print it.

You can access your 2021 return by following the steps below:

For TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account and open your return by selecting Continue or Pick up where you left off
  2. Select Tax Tools from the left menu, then Print Center (on mobile devices, tap in the upper left corner to expand the menu)
  3. Select Print, save, or preview this year's return, and follow any additional instructions
  4. Once your PDF opens in Adobe Acrobat Reader, select the printer icon near the top
  5. Make any adjustments in the Print window and then select Print at the bottom

If you would like to print your return filed in the TurboTax CD/Download software please see the link below:

How to Print a Copy of the Return filed in TurboTax 

@westcoastin510 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
westcoastin510
Returning Member

Thank you for the help!

So I would put $215 in the withheld box in blue from my original post? 

540.JPG

HopeS
Expert Alumni

Your total withholding tax from your 2021 California return will be shown on Line 88.  Please review your CA Form 540.

The amount of overpayment is typically not the same as your total withholding but in your case, it might be the same.

See the screenshot below. Review these lines on CA 2021 return.

@westcoastin510 

westcoastin510
Returning Member

I don't have lines 81-88 it jumps from 78 to 91..is line 88 that your referring to the same as line 78 on my 2021 form 540? If so $215 is my total withholding tax for 2021? Thanks for your help

123.JPG

HopeS
Expert Alumni

Please print a copy of your 2021 California return and review your return to see if you had CA withholding tax.

Line 78 is showing Earned Income Credit which is not the same as withholding state tax. If your return did not show any withholding, then move forward with your return preparation.

See how to print the prior year's return below:

Download Prior Year

@westcoastin510 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies