turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I cancel the request for an extension and then file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertM

Hello there,

Unfortunately you cannot cancel or amend an extension. Only tax returns that have already been received by the government can be amended. An extension is just a tax form; Form 4868 to be exact.

If you e-filed your extension and it gets rejected, you can make your changes before you resubmit it or mail it in. However, once it's been mailed or accepted, it can no longer be changed.

** Don't worry if you think you may have over- or underestimated your tax on the extension; the government doesn't expect you to get it right down to the dollar. In fact, the IRS instructions on Form 4868 say:

Make your estimate as accurate as you can with the information you have. If we later find that the estimate was not reasonable, the extension will be null and void.

I hope this was helpful and thanks again for being apart of the TurboTax family!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RobertM

Hello there,

Unfortunately you cannot cancel or amend an extension. Only tax returns that have already been received by the government can be amended. An extension is just a tax form; Form 4868 to be exact.

If you e-filed your extension and it gets rejected, you can make your changes before you resubmit it or mail it in. However, once it's been mailed or accepted, it can no longer be changed.

** Don't worry if you think you may have over- or underestimated your tax on the extension; the government doesn't expect you to get it right down to the dollar. In fact, the IRS instructions on Form 4868 say:

Make your estimate as accurate as you can with the information you have. If we later find that the estimate was not reasonable, the extension will be null and void.

I hope this was helpful and thanks again for being apart of the TurboTax family!

lltax59

I entered a federal extension in turbo tax but did not mail it as I missed the NY extension deadline.  How do I cancel the federal extension in turbo tax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies