turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, I filed for an extension and submitted my taxes this week. I paid what I calculated my taxes to be, but do I need to worry if I owe any late penalties?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Hello, I filed for an extension and submitted my taxes this week. I paid what I calculated my taxes to be, but do I need to worry if I owe any late penalties?

@iooc821253 - your post is somewhat unclear. 

if you filed for the extension and paid the estimated taxes due by April 17, then you don't have to worry about a penalty for late filing.  I am assuming you are now due a slight refund. 

But if you are saying you filed for the extenson this week and paid what you calculated the taxes to be, then the payment is late and subject to late penalites, which the IRS will determine and let you know about at a later date. 

As far as I know, I am not entitled to a refund. I filed for the extension before April 17. I was wondering if I should be fine until they send me something or if there is a way to resolve the matter now. From what I gather, I should be fine until I receive something? Thank you.

@iooc821253 correct - I would do nothing at this time ; if the amount you owed when you finally filed was minimual then any late fee will be minimal as well

the correct action is to pay the amount you owe now, even if you are going to file in October.

You can pay online at the IRS website.

This will minimize your late payment penalty and interest.

@iooc821253 

"As far as I know, I am not entitled to a refund. "

This confused me.

If you filed already you must know the "amount you owe".

@iooc821253 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies