turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Head of household is not an option, It only gives me single, married,divorced, legally separated and widowed. How do I file head of household?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Head of household is not an option, It only gives me single, married,divorced, legally separated and widowed. How do I file head of household?

If you are not married then you enter Single.  If you are legally married then you are Married.

Enter your dependent.  The program will ask you questions to determine if you are eligible for Head of Household filing status.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you are not married then you enter Single.  If you are legally married then you are Married.

Enter your dependent.  The program will ask you questions to determine if you are eligible for Head of Household filing status.

HOH really only works in these situations

1) you are not married but have dependents

2) you are married but have been separated for at least 6 months (and each state may have different rules that defines when the 6 months begins - in some states a judicial order begins the 6 month period).

for example, if you were legally married on 12/31/19 and you spouse walked out on you in late July, 2019 you are either married-joint or married-separate.  HOH is not an option. 

OK ... read that screen (and every screen)  slowly ... it asks for your MARITAL Status not your FILING status at this point.  Later in the interview, AFTER you have entered in a qualifying child, you may be offered the HOH filing status.  

marital status.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies