Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

H4 ITIN to SSN update

Last year 2023 January, my wife received her H4 EAD and now she has a SSN. Therefore, her ITIN needs to be updated with the SSN. Will this update automatically be handled during the 2023 tax filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

H4 ITIN to SSN update

To electronically file returns, one way that the IRS verifies a person's identity is by asking for the previous year's AGI.  Since your spouse used a different number when filing last year's tax return, the question on the program regarding the AGI, should be answered that she did not file a tax return in the previous year or it you already entered a number enter 0.  To go back to this question in the program:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account
  2. Select Fix my return.
  3. On the Let's fix your returns and then refile screen,
  4. Select Fix it now or Revisit.
  5. On the following screen, enter your 2022 AGI from your Form 1040, line 11.
  6. On the next screen, enter 0 confirm that the number is correct and select This is my 2022 AGI.
  7. On the Keep going to refile your return screen, select Continue to refile and follow the screens to resubmit your return.

@sonyjose747 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

H4 ITIN to SSN update

She needs to use her SSN on her current year tax return and no longer use her ITIN.  She also needs to notify the IRS so that they can combine all of her records.  To do this she can either visit and IRS office in person or  write a letter explaining that she now has a SSN and she wants to have her tax records combined.  The letter must Include her complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of her ITIN.   Send the letter to:

Internal Revenue Service 
     Austin, TX 73301-0057 

H4 ITIN to SSN update

@LeticiaF1 

I have used SSN and got rejection with the below error.

'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.Reject Code IND-032-04

Could you please help on how to proceed?

LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

H4 ITIN to SSN update

To electronically file returns, one way that the IRS verifies a person's identity is by asking for the previous year's AGI.  Since your spouse used a different number when filing last year's tax return, the question on the program regarding the AGI, should be answered that she did not file a tax return in the previous year or it you already entered a number enter 0.  To go back to this question in the program:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account
  2. Select Fix my return.
  3. On the Let's fix your returns and then refile screen,
  4. Select Fix it now or Revisit.
  5. On the following screen, enter your 2022 AGI from your Form 1040, line 11.
  6. On the next screen, enter 0 confirm that the number is correct and select This is my 2022 AGI.
  7. On the Keep going to refile your return screen, select Continue to refile and follow the screens to resubmit your return.

@sonyjose747 

H4 ITIN to SSN update

@LeticiaF1 Thank you so much. I could able to successfully file the return and IRS accepted it. I really appreciate your quick support and assistance.

Thanks again!

cjgoyette

H4 ITIN to SSN update

This suggestion did not work for me. My wife used an ITIN on our 2022 taxes, and now has an SSN. 

I was able to update my wife's AGI per instructions. However, when it came time to e-file, it asked me to confirm *my* AGI again, from the prior year. 

It appears that this information is then overwriting the previously "corrected" AGI of my spouse. The rejection notification implies that my wife's AGI was listed as my AGI, rather than "$0" as specified in these instructions. 

A support agent suggested that I file by mail, instead. They did not acknowledge that this is a turbotax software issue. 

Koothenai

H4 ITIN to SSN update

Exactly the same issue as @cjgoyette described. Any workaround to fix the software issue? A quick response would be appreciated as today's the filing deadline and I can file by mail if this is not going to work.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies