Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Getting married

I am getting married.  My future husband is a high-wage earner; I also work full time.  Should I note 0-1 on my W4?

1 Reply
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Getting married



Congratulations! Unfortunately, there is no longer the term "0" Exemptions. The Treasury Department recently changed the format of W-4 and their only the filing status, based on the income bracket you fall under. If your spouse is a high-wage earned, it would be best to file as MARRIED, but withhold at the higher Single rate and possibly use Line 4c to withhold marginal additional tax to protect you by year-end.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies