turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do i enter inheritance income?

We've received money (a personal check from a lawyers office), but no documentation of the transactions.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
nyinyeb

Generally, inherited property (including cash, stocks, and real estate) is not taxable or reportable on a personal 1040 federal return.

However, any income earned from an inheritance such as interest, dividends, rent) or capital gains will be taxable.

An inheritance will be taxable if you inherit an IRA, 401(k) or other retirement account and receive a distribution. That would be considered "income in respect of a decedent" which is earned by a deceased person prior to death. Because it was paid after death the income is taxable to the recipient in the year paid.

You would report the inherited income based on the form it takes. Inherited retirement is reported as 1099-R (retirement section), while inherited property sold is reported in Investment section

DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Usually your inheritance is not taxable and is not reported on your tax return. However if you inherit property that produces income such as interest, dividends, or rents, that income is taxable and reportable on your return.

I inherited a Money from my father's IRA when he passed away in April. 

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Withdrawals from the IRA are subject to the same taxes associated with the account. If it's a traditional IRA, then your withdrawals will be subject to taxes. Also, the same applies if the IRA is a Roth, then you can make tax free withdrawals from the account.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
PD57

I received a 1099misc for payment from a lawsuit my deceased husband was an attorney for as the surviving spouse.  Turbo Tax wants me to claim this as business income and pay self-employment tax on.  Why? that is my only income.  The box on the 1099 misc is Box 10 completed by the associate attorney.  Why do I have to claim this as business income?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies