Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need to show depreciation of farm building built1995 depreciated 20 of 25 years depreciated over.

Need to show depreciation of farm building built in 2995 and being depreciated over 25 years
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Need to show depreciation of farm building built1995 depreciated 20 of 25 years depreciated over.

Generally, farm buildings are depreciated over a 20 year useful life, not 25 year (you're probably aware of that). I'm guessing you are entering this into TurboTax for the first time and someone else originally used 25 years for some reason, 20 years ago. TurboTax does not have a useful life class option of 25 years for an asset placed into service before June 12, 1996, so I would recommend entering it using the correct useful life of 20 years. But now the problem is 20 years is up, so I would enter a date "place into service" as one year later (1996) using the preset farm building option. Enter the "Amount of depreciation taken in prior years". Then this year of 2016, you will get all of the remaining allowed depreciation on that farm building. It appears to be the only and the best option. Hope that helps---

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Generally, farm buildings are depreciated over a 20 year useful life, not 25 year (you're probably aware of that). I'm guessing you are entering this into TurboTax for the first time and someone else originally used 25 years for some reason, 20 years ago. TurboTax does not have a useful life class option of 25 years for an asset placed into service before June 12, 1996, so I would recommend entering it using the correct useful life of 20 years. But now the problem is 20 years is up, so I would enter a date "place into service" as one year later (1996) using the preset farm building option. Enter the "Amount of depreciation taken in prior years". Then this year of 2016, you will get all of the remaining allowed depreciation on that farm building. It appears to be the only and the best option. Hope that helps---

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies