turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tnmoi

Do i need to use premium turbo tax if i didnt buy or sell stocks in 2017 but i have sold some in the past and used Premier Turbo Tax in 2016 for 2015, 2015 for 2014, etc.

I haven’t been doing anything with stocks for 2017 and I bought the premier back in 2015 to take care of my stock purchases and sale back then... I was wondering if I need to keep buying Premier?  Can I simply get Deluxe (lower tier) and if say in 2018, I have new stocks sold, could I simply buy Premier in 2019 for 2018?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Do i need to use premium turbo tax if i didnt buy or sell stocks in 2017 but i have sold some in the past and used Premier Turbo Tax in 2016 for 2015, 2015 for 2014, etc.

FYI ... if you use the downloaded version you can always use the Basic if you don't need a state return or the Deluxe version if you do need a state.   All the downloaded versions can handle ALL the tax forms & situations ... the ONLY difference between the versions is the level of extra "help" in certain areas which you may not need.

So go ahead and use the lower priced version every year and if you ever need more "hand holding" then you can always upgrade as you go along but I suspect you will never need the extra help. 

JulieH1

Yes. You can use a different version each year as your tax situations change.

This year they tried to trick me into Turbo Tax Premium even after not accepting audit defense. Just had to select to pay with card for state. The other option is to pay with your refund, which would need the upgrade and charge you for it. I don't like how Turbo Tax tries to trick you in this way. They know what they're doing.

The original poster was using the Desktop version and NOT the online one ... there is no requirement to upgrade.  And upgrading to Premier is required if you have something the current version will not handle ... the MAX add on has nothing to do with it.  

Last year {2018) I started with Deluxe and then upgraded to Premier because a conversion from a standard IRA into a ROTH got complicated and I felt I needed the extra horsepower. This year I went back to Deluxe.

I sell stocks every year and Deluxe does just fine.   To me the main advantage of Deluxe over Basic is the included state filing.  

Since ALL the downloaded versions handle all the same forms the only reasons for upgrading at all is to either get the state program for less than adding it to the basic  OR  to get more "help" on certain subject matters. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies