Free state filing

laureldolan

Free state filing

I said to use my free state but my file would not transmit without me submitting a $20 payment.  Thanks for bait and switch!  This isn't the first year it has happened to me but Wisconsin has a very user-unfriendly free file platform.  

Free state filing

E-filing fee in desktop software

Did you purchase desktop software with state software included?  They sell Deluxe both with and without state software--so you have to be careful which one you choose.  And even if it does have the state software download included, that is for preparing the state.  There is an extra fee to e-file the state.  You can avoid the state e-file fee if you print and mail the state instead of e-filing it.

day3262

Free state filing

This is the 3rd year they have done this to me too! It says you have a free state return do you want to use it on this one? I click yes and it still directs me to pay $20. 

gloriah5200

Free state filing

It is allowing you the state download at no cost.  You may able able to paper file the state return for free.  You would be charged $20 for e-filing the state return.

The filing deadline is probably similar to the federal and e-filing the return is quicker to file, quicker to process, and quicker to get a refund.

The state return generally will use the federal return amounts in calculating the state tax return.  Many state returns start with the federal agi.  By preparing the state return in TurboTax like you did the federal return assures you that the same federal numbers are carried to the state returns and they match.  

The IRS and state tax departments share information from the returns you file with both of them.  So they should match.