turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Formula/Calculation of Return of Excess

How do I actually calculate the return of excess if I have two employers? for example: First employer's W2 states $10000(DD) in box 12a, $19000(E) in box 12b, and $2000(CASD) in box 14. Second employer's W2 states $18000(D) in box 12a-d, and $1000(CASDI) in box 14. What is the actual formula to use?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Assuming that you typed the values correctly, you are WAY over the limit, by at least $19,000 combined.  Even at the first employer alone you are substantially over the limit; that employer should not have permitted that to happen.

At the first employer, are you an employee who in 2019 had at least 15 years of service with a public school system, hospital, home health service agency, health and welfare service agency, church, or convention or association of churches (or associated organization)?

Were you age 50 or over in 2019?

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-403b-contribution-l...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I work at two non-profits. and I am under the age of 50 years old. How is the excess calculated with all the different numbers in box 12 and box 14?

dmertz
Level 15

The numbers in boxes 14 are irrelevant.  CASDI is not part of your retirement contributions.

In addition to you being under age 50, I'll assume that you do not meet the 15-year service requirement to be able to make a special $3,000 catch-up contribution to the 403(b).

In total you have $28,000 in excess contributions for 2019.  The maximum permissible combined elective deferral and Roth contributions to the 403(b) is $19,000, and you are $10,000 over that, so by the April 15 deadline you'll need to obtain returns of excess contributions totaling at least $10,000 (depending on how much return of excess contribution you obtain from the 401(k) at the other employer) from the 403(b), either from the traditional account, the designated Roth account or both, accompanied by any earnings attributable to the returned excess contributions, calculated by the plan administrator.

The amount that you must obtain as a return of contribution from the 401(k) at the second employer is $18,000 minus whatever amount above $10,000 you have returned from the 403(b) so that your total contributions to the 403(b) and 401(k) do not exceed $19,000 for 2019.  If you choose to have only $10,000 returned from the 403(b), the entire $18,000 will need to be returned from the 401(k).  Whatever amounts are returned from the traditional accounts will be includible as income on your 2019 tax return.  Any earnings distributed with the returned contributions will be taxable on your 2020 tax return.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. looks like i can ignore, categories DD and G. and then, max (19k) minus categories D and E. Thanks.

dmertz
Level 15

Correct.  Code DD has nothing to do with retirement contributions and the 457(b) contributions indicated by code G have their own separate $19,000 limit (not combined with 401(k) and 403(b) contributions).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies