Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8938: Line 7 and line 8 cannot be entered on the same foreign asset

After fixing a 1099-INT import error thanks to @dmertz, only one obstacle remains before e-filing:

TurboTax 2022 (online) claims that:

"Form 8938 -- 8938 Cont Stmt (COPY 7): Foreign entity or issuer/counterparty information should not both be entered. Line 7 and line 8 cannot be entered on the same foreign asset."

TurboTax offers to fix this by changing the name of the Foreign Entity, but AFAIK it is correct (that is how I e-filed last year without any error) and pointing to line 35a may be a "red herring".

Any idea which line 7 and line 8 is TurboTax referring to?

Lines 7,8 in Form 8938 (the form in which this error is reported) refer to:
  7. Number of custodial accounts (reported in Part V) .
  8. Maximum value of all custodial accounts
which I properly left blank.

So, I don't understand which lines 7 and 8 TurboTax is referring to.

BTW, I compared COPY 7 (the one about which TurboTax complains) to COPY 5. They are identical except for the "Description of asset" (line 29) and ID (line 30). But TurboTax complains about COPY 7 only. Weird.

Any help on the way to fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It turns out that last year, the same exact issue was reported -- without a solution:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/issue-with-form-8938-for-2021-foreign-entity-or-i... 

I managed to workaround it by going again to Form 8938's entire interview process (there is no way to directly edit the forms), not modify anything, just click continue, continue, etc. until done.

This appears to have worked around the bug, because immediately after that, TurboTax took me to e-file, sent it to the IRS, and 29 minutes later I received another email from `TurboTax at Intuit` that "Your federal tax return was accepted by the IRS"

All is well now. 😊

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It turns out that last year, the same exact issue was reported -- without a solution:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/issue-with-form-8938-for-2021-foreign-entity-or-i... 

I managed to workaround it by going again to Form 8938's entire interview process (there is no way to directly edit the forms), not modify anything, just click continue, continue, etc. until done.

This appears to have worked around the bug, because immediately after that, TurboTax took me to e-file, sent it to the IRS, and 29 minutes later I received another email from `TurboTax at Intuit` that "Your federal tax return was accepted by the IRS"

All is well now. 😊

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies