Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

turnrod
Returning Member

Form 8915-F Qualified Disaster IRA Distributions

In TurboTax online, how do I add two qualified disasters to Form 8915-F for distributions from a single IRA/1099-R? So far, I have only been able to add a single qualified disaster for any given 1099-R. Thx.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If it was only on one 1099-R, you would only be able to designate one FEMA disaster zone on the screen titled "Which disaster affected...in 2023?".

The next screen will ask you "How many disaster distributions did you take in 2023?".  You can enter the number of distributions taken on this screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

since any one disaster in your area exempts you from 10% penalty for early withdrawal, what's the point ?

Number of distributions is not the number of disasters.

turnrod
Returning Member

Yes, that is the issue. Turbotax online only allows a single disaster to be designated for each 1099-R; however, this is an artificial limitation by Turbotax.

The IRS allows multiple disaster designations for a taxpayer, which have nothing to do with the number of 1099-Rs. The number of distributions captured on a single 1099-R are not relevant.

The reason this matters is that there is a limitation on the amount that can be withdrawn without penalty for each taxpayer. The amount that can be withdrawn without penalty is based on each qualified disaster and has nothing to do with how many distributions the taxpayer makes nor the number of 1099-Rs.

Does Turbotax plan to correct his error so that more than one qualified disaster may be entered so users like myself can submit my taxes? Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies