turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I filed a Form 4868 Extension and have the document in hand, do I need to continue with filing my return? What about extension for state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If I filed a Form 4868 Extension and have the document in hand, do I need to continue with filing my return? What about extension for state?

Form 4868 gives you time to file (6 more months) but the tax is still due April 15th. So if you owe, you still need to send in a payment to avoid interest. 

Yes, you continue your return and file it when complete. 

Check with your state to see if you need to also file an extension with them. 

"Some  states including Wisconsin, Alabama and California offer automatic six-month extensions to file your state income tax return without having to file any additional forms. Other states, such as New York, will grant you a six-month extension but you must request it. For the nine states that do not impose a state income tax, you don’t even have to file an income tax return, let alone request an extension. Reach out to your state tax authority to confirm which steps you will need to follow."

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-extensions/what-to-do-after-youve-filed-an-income-tax-exten...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies